Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia flava grow from seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received some Sarracenia flava seeds from Trainspotting (Thank You). I would like to start to grow them. I want to do it right. Here is what I have in mind.I pick up one of Jiffy All-in-One Greenhouse's and hoped to use it with a couple of seeds per pellet. They are peat pellets. After the inital growth transfer them to a clay pot with a proper soil mix.
    Some items to help. I live in south Florida. We have warm winters hot summers and lots of humidity.

So my question is this:
    Is this a good way to start the process from seeds?

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Apprently posting fully clothed non sexual photos of myself pisses off the mods. Well I do my part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that depends. Have you stratified the seed? Are you growing under lights? What do you have set up for cold dormancy, and would you take help on that subject??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 27 2005,6:51)]Well that depends. Have you stratified the seed? Are you growing under lights? What do you have set up for cold dormancy, and would you take help on that subject??
    Stratified the seeds, hang on.
    v. strat·i·fied, strat·i·fy·ing, strat·i·fies
    v. tr.

1. To form, arrange, or deposit in layers.
    2. To preserve (seeds) by placing them between layers of moist sand or similar material.
    1. To arrange or separate into castes, classes, or social levels.
    2. To separate into a sequence of graded status levels.
    Basically I still have the seeds in the envelope I received them in. So I guess I have not arranged them in any way. I would take any help offered. Hell I just learned a new word.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Apprently posting fully clothed non sexual photos of myself pisses off the mods. Well I do my part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stratifying temperate CP seeds means to give them a cold, moist period for at least a month before exposing them to warmer temperatures, which will then stimulate germination. Basically, you need to simulate a winter, the end of which signifies the beginning of spring and warmer weather - this tells the seeds it's safe to come out and play for a year before the cold weather sets in again, by which time they would've grown strong enough to withstand the elements. Phew! And I thought I only knew about Neps!

Good luck!
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 27 2005,7:07)]Stratifying temperate CP seeds means to give them a cold, moist period for at least a month before exposing them to warmer temperatures, which will then stimulate germination. Phew!

Good luck!
    Cheers
    Okay this sounds like I should put them in the pellets and then in the refigarator for a month. And make sure the pellets are moist.

I may be reading this wrong.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no, you're absolutely correct, in fact. Visit this page for great information regarding growing Sarracenia from seed.
    Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Nov. 27 2005,7:15)]No, no, you're absolutely correct, in fact. Visit this page for great information regarding growing Sarracenia from seed.
    Enjoy!
    That page is a great reference. I need to remember to use google. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understudy, Sho gave you the best way to stratify your seed. Stick with that method, and read all you can from as many CP sites as you can, and learn your stuff! You'll be growing with the Big Boyz before you know it!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast