Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Purpurea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking in some books and found that this plant grows in Northern America and Eastern Coast. Would I be able to grow this year round outside in Wisconsin? Does anyone here have any and do it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea is a pretty hard one, I'm not sure how much frost they can take though. I know that they can freeze pretty nicely and thaw out just fine. However, I think that in your area that you'd probably want to throw the plant in to an unheated garage or something of the like for winter. You probably get a good amount of snow in the winter, eh?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea grows native all over Wisconsin, and into Canada.

Given enough bio-mass around it, it will survive out winters just fine. I just got some at the begining of fall. So they are getting a cushy indoor dormancy this year, but they will be planted in my yard in spring, and left to fend for themselves. However I should mention that I do have a small natural bog in my yard. Sphagnum mat and under lying peat. That is where I am going to plant them. The spag seems to stretch out as winter approaches, and catch much leaf litter. I think that will provide plenty of insulation for the Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea to survive winter.
    If I didn't have the natural bog, I would just cover them with 1-2' of leaves, and then uncover in spring.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4-6 inches of pine needles is more effective than leaves I have found from experience with my man-made bog in central PA. Plus, they burn off much easier than leaves so you can give your pitcher plants that annual burn which btw REALLY helps with growth.

I have have purpureas that wre blocks of ice; they don't care one bit about cold. The worst that will happen is that their leaves may be deciduous in VERY cold winters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIGHT!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this topic out. It's a gem!

WildBill's recipe for successful outside cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what the others have said. I lived in Northern Michigan before, and it was very cold in the winter. There were plenty of purple pitcher plants growing in the local bogs.

I think the real trick is to find S. purpurea ssp. purpurea comercially. Most CP nurseries are located in warmer areas, and they usually only carry S. purpurea ssp. venosa, which isn't as tolerant to cold weather. I know of one nursery in Oregon that carries ssp. purpurea.

Here, check out this link to see S. pupurea in Michigan...covered with snow! :
    Brrrr...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one S. purpurea that I left outside in it's pot (without any insulation) and it had 3 inches of snow on it and it's pot and the liquid in it's pitchers were frozen solid! But now it's in my garage, and has thawed out and is slowly growing.
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast