What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name the plant that  has the most-

If I wanted to grow a pitcher plant but one that had short pitchers (the shorter the better) and pitchers that grew upright (the more straight up the better) what plant would best meet those criteria?

Probably S. rubra ssp. rubra. It's pitchers are thin and straight and it tends to reach heights of 15-30cm.

I grow S.purpurea, rubra and psittacina in my terrarium and they've managed to stay small and healthy. If you have to choose one, I agree with Alvin that S.rubra is probably your best bet.

S. Minor should fit the criteria pretty nicely! Not too tall, but nice and upright.

Alvin's got it. S. rubra ssp. rubra. Not only small, but good veining all through it, and some of them will produce great color.

The shortest is S.purpurea. Mine is growing fat and very sturdy. Even the flower is short. Minors can get tall. I have some 1.5 feet tall. Some get three feet tall. Here is a pic of my S.purpurea

Picture%20397.JPG

Okay, thanks for the information. And Lord Humungus your S.purpurea looks very healthy...and I like the big VFT trap at the bottom right of your photo.

I have some S. Judith Hindle that are kinda short and fat.

Back