Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus watering

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ceph sits in a terrarium on a shelf with lights hanging over it, so it's not easy to take it out or to put a vessel of water into the terraium to water it. Instead, when I mist my Neps, I put turn the spray bottle onto the jet setting and use it to water the Ceph pot. I hose down the corners of the pot until water runs out the bottom, avoiding wetting the crown as I'm told it leads to rot. I mist my Neps all the time (whenever I stop to inspect the plant rack,) so a few squirts of water every few times is all it takes to keep my Ceph happy. The soil varies from soaked to just damp (dry at the top I've had modest success with this method for about six months now.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I water from the top and I don't use a tray or saucer on the bottom. I avoid directly watering the crown by watering all around the perimeter of the pot. I have it in a high humidity terrarium and water once every two weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also water from the top, making sure not to get the crown wet. I've had my plant almost a year with no problems. Roots are starting to come out of the drain holes. All my indoor plants are watered the same way. Watering is one of the things I enjoy most about growing plants. I only use the tray system if I'm gone for a week or so.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Watering is one of the things I enjoy most about growing plants.
    I agree! It's like therapy for me when I do it. So relaxing and rewarding [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Reading all these responses about top watering makes me think quite a bit about my own watering practices, but I do think I'll still stick to my tray method. Hopefully my Cephs won't ever rot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my ceph in a pretty deep 6 inch pot. The pot has a saucer attached to it. I water from the top avoiding the crown of the plant. The water drains to fill the saucer and then the excess will drain into a saucer that actually does not keep the pot hydrated. I have been using this method for many years now with no ill-effects.

-Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the end of September and May I pour water into the saucer under the pot about once a week. Any water that has not been drawn up from the saucer in about 20 mins is emptied out. when the plant is in full growth and pitchering from around June to september I increase the watering so that the pot sits in a little water. When all the water has evaporated or been drawn up into the pot it is left dry for a day or two and then refilled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your approach Indymental. I think I might try that. How much of the water is usually drawn up into the pot after 20 minutes?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott is correct that my cephs are in a fish tank.

Here's a picture of my "Hummer's Giant" I picked up last summer when visiting John Hummer's place, just starting to be nice enough to photograph.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast