What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus watering

I've had my two Cephs for quite some time now. One of them I've had for about 6 months and the other I've had since October. I use the tray method to water them and they seem to be doing fine so far, putting out pitchers and everything.

My concern is that even though my plants have been doing fine, I may be keeping too much water in their trays which could eventually lead to the all-too-well-known Ceph root rot (I think it's referred to as the Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome over at the UK CP forum). The trays aren't too deep and I keep about an inch of water in there. I wait until it evaporates, wait another day, then put more water in. Do you all think this is fine for watering Cephs?

I really love my Cephs (so much so that I'm getting another in the mail today or tomorrow - Whoo hoo!) and I want to make sure that they continue growing well and that they stay happy.

I do not keep any of my ceph's on the tray method.
I just top water mine twice a week. I use pots that have a small saucer attached to the bottom. If when I water, water fills the saucer, I dump the water out.

Interesting approach Elgecko. I've seen that Ceph of yours many times and it seems like what you're doing is working!

Man, now I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just start watering from the top...

In contrast, I have mine opne tray and I water from the side. It works. But then again, Steve's plants are growing better than mine. I think his is in fish tank, terrarium style, artificial lighting.

Jim: What do you mean by "I water from the side"? Are you just referring to pouring water into the tray?

Yes, I add water to the tray. What I am doing is the textbook approach. I also started leaf cuttings in that swamp set up (live LFS atop sand & peat. So that got daily, daily watering. This broke just about every rule in the book. The thing is that each scenario was adapted and if I stressed them, they didn't let on. Of course the Nep basket collapsing onto the swamp just plain destroyed the cuttings / young plants.
mad.gif

Thanks Jim. I may just keep my watering method the way it is since you say it has been working just fine for you. Plus it's a lot less hassle for me since many days I don't have time to water because of school. That way my Cephs won't ever risk getting too dry, as long as they can tolerate the moisture from standing in water.

Man, every time I hear you talk about that hanging basket incident I feel so bad for you Jim
smile_h_32.gif
I really hope that never happens again!

There's a bit of a, "If it aint broke.." associated with this hobby. Hence the seemingly diametrically approaches that are apparently successful. I used to get a kick out of caomparing Tamlin Dawnstar's approach, contrasting with Pinguiculaman's - and they're both successful. Then there's Bugweed telling us that plants don't read books....

Thanks for you sympathies. All that died has either been replaced or soon to be. We have a very generous subculture among us!
smile.gif

My Ceph sits in a terrarium on a shelf with lights hanging over it, so it's not easy to take it out or to put a vessel of water into the terraium to water it. Instead, when I mist my Neps, I put turn the spray bottle onto the jet setting and use it to water the Ceph pot. I hose down the corners of the pot until water runs out the bottom, avoiding wetting the crown as I'm told it leads to rot. I mist my Neps all the time (whenever I stop to inspect the plant rack,) so a few squirts of water every few times is all it takes to keep my Ceph happy. The soil varies from soaked to just damp (dry at the top;) I've had modest success with this method for about six months now.
~Joe

I water from the top and I don't use a tray or saucer on the bottom. I avoid directly watering the crown by watering all around the perimeter of the pot. I have it in a high humidity terrarium and water once every two weeks.

I also water from the top, making sure not to get the crown wet.  I've had my plant almost a year with no problems.  Roots are starting to come out of the drain holes. All my indoor plants are watered the same way. Watering is one of the things I enjoy most about growing plants. I only use the tray system if I'm gone for a week or so.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Watering is one of the things I enjoy most about growing plants.

I agree! It's like therapy for me when I do it. So relaxing and rewarding
smile.gif

Reading all these responses about top watering makes me think quite a bit about my own watering practices, but I do think I'll still stick to my tray method. Hopefully my Cephs won't ever rot!

I have my ceph in a pretty deep 6 inch pot. The pot has a saucer attached to it. I water from the top avoiding the crown of the plant. The water drains to fill the saucer and then the excess will drain into a saucer that actually does not keep the pot hydrated. I have been using this method for many years now with no ill-effects.

-Jeremy

Between the end of September and May I pour water into the saucer under the pot about once a week. Any water that has not been drawn up from the saucer in about 20 mins is emptied out. when the plant is in full growth and pitchering from around June to september I increase the watering so that the pot sits in a little water. When all the water has evaporated or been drawn up into the pot it is left dry for a day or two and then refilled.

I like your approach Indymental. I think I might try that. How much of the water is usually drawn up into the pot after 20 minutes?

Scott is correct that my cephs are in a fish tank.

Here's a picture of my "Hummer's Giant" I picked up last summer when visiting John Hummer's place, just starting to be nice enough to photograph.

hummersceph.jpg

Great looking "Hummer's Giant" Elgecko. I actually just got one today. Do you keep it in the same tank as your other Ceph?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 12 2006,10:47)]Great looking "Hummer's Giant" Elgecko. I actually just got one today. Do you keep it in the same tank as your other Ceph?
Thanks for the comment.

Yep

Would you happen to know how big "Hummer's Giant" pitchers get?

I've read where some can get 2 1/2 - 3".
My biggest my typical has made has been 1 1/4".

Back