What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus watering

Hey, cephs are delicate?, can they die easy?, hey they will do fine in a terrarium?, so is better top water all plants?, or is just fine the tray 4 ever?, lol, well i top water all my other plants, but this time w the carnivores y wanna try follow the instructions to the letter. Kind regards see ya soon.

Hi Imwindplant and welcome (back?) to the forums! Cephalotus can be delicate. They can experience a sudden death. Elegecko topwaters and keeps his in a terrarium with great results. I have mine (which came from him) and sits open tray, at a window will. It is also doing well. We are doing things a bit opposite, but also successfully. I think that if one starts off with a healthy plant and acclimates it to certain conditions, unless they aren't very bad, they will do well.

I agree with Jim on this one. I think that even though certain species of carnivorous plants require specific conditions to do well, a well acclimated specimen can do well in very different conditions (assuming the plant is healthy and gradually acclimated to said conditions).

I've been keeping my Cephs in trays, letting the water dry out for a day between waterings, and so far my plants have been doing well.

Hello all i know u 2...maybe u2 dont remberme well but we talk..sometimes...(but i tink us remeberme, im glad to hear that), ok so i just water sometimes and put it in the terrarium, thanks for the tips.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 12 2006,5:52)]I like your approach Indymental. I think I might try that. How much of the water is usually drawn up into the pot after 20 minutes?
To be honest I have never measured the amount of water taken up by the plant, it varies depending on how warm it has been in the house, but it is usually most if not all of it. It is enough to keep the plant alive and happy with no danger of fungal disease.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Jan. 16 2006,2:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 12 2006,5:52)]I like your approach Indymental. I think I might try that. How much of the water is usually drawn up into the pot after 20 minutes?
To be honest I have never measured the amount of water taken up by the plant, it varies depending on how warm it has been in the house, but it is usually most if not all of it. It is enough to keep the plant alive and happy with no danger of fungal disease.
Very cool. I want to incorporate something like that into my Ceph watering habits so I don't risk losing any of them. Thanks Indymental.

Back