Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus watering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my two Cephs for quite some time now. One of them I've had for about 6 months and the other I've had since October. I use the tray method to water them and they seem to be doing fine so far, putting out pitchers and everything.

My concern is that even though my plants have been doing fine, I may be keeping too much water in their trays which could eventually lead to the all-too-well-known Ceph root rot (I think it's referred to as the Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome over at the UK CP forum). The trays aren't too deep and I keep about an inch of water in there. I wait until it evaporates, wait another day, then put more water in. Do you all think this is fine for watering Cephs?

I really love my Cephs (so much so that I'm getting another in the mail today or tomorrow - Whoo hoo!) and I want to make sure that they continue growing well and that they stay happy.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not keep any of my ceph's on the tray method.
    I just top water mine twice a week. I use pots that have a small saucer attached to the bottom. If when I water, water fills the saucer, I dump the water out.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting approach Elgecko. I've seen that Ceph of yours many times and it seems like what you're doing is working!

Man, now I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just start watering from the top...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In contrast, I have mine opne tray and I water from the side. It works. But then again, Steve's plants are growing better than mine. I think his is in fish tank, terrarium style, artificial lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim: What do you mean by "I water from the side"? Are you just referring to pouring water into the tray?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I add water to the tray. What I am doing is the textbook approach. I also started leaf cuttings in that swamp set up (live LFS atop sand & peat. So that got daily, daily watering. This broke just about every rule in the book. The thing is that each scenario was adapted and if I stressed them, they didn't let on. Of course the Nep basket collapsing onto the swamp just plain destroyed the cuttings / young plants. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim. I may just keep my watering method the way it is since you say it has been working just fine for you. Plus it's a lot less hassle for me since many days I don't have time to water because of school. That way my Cephs won't ever risk getting too dry, as long as they can tolerate the moisture from standing in water.

Man, every time I hear you talk about that hanging basket incident I feel so bad for you Jim [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I really hope that never happens again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bit of a, "If it aint broke.." associated with this hobby. Hence the seemingly diametrically approaches that are apparently successful. I used to get a kick out of caomparing Tamlin Dawnstar's approach, contrasting with Pinguiculaman's - and they're both successful. Then there's Bugweed telling us that plants don't read books....

Thanks for you sympathies. All that died has either been replaced or soon to be. We have a very generous subculture among us! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast