What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well here's the thing, I have all my Sarracenia in dormancy under lights untill spring. Well this same thing happened last year during late February, my plants started flowering, last year I had around 14 before I moved them into the greenhouse, this year I have 1 so far but others are showing signs of blooming, so far my S. alata "Covington, LA" is blooming should I cut the flower or let it stay, alst year I let them stay and there weren't nearly as many pitchers as I would have wanted but once I got humidity up they pitchered nciely

As any Sarracenia grower would know with dormancy, flowering has no negative effect on the plants health. So leaving it on or off is the growers descision. The fact that if I am reading correctly, you let the flowers stay and the plants pitchered worse, would probably be caused by less than optimal growing conditions, not due to the fact that the plant bloomed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in dormancy under lights

What kind of temperature/light period are they experiencing? If your alata is flowering now, it seems like they are too warm or too light.

they're under some light flourescents, i only water them twice a week because I want to keep them on the dry side for dormancy.

Why are you using fluorescent tubes? They don't need them. Mine are outside with freezing temperature and short photoperiod. They will start growing again with spring arrival...

Are the plants dormant? Or are you treating them like they are dormant but they are growing? If you have a growing plant, and give it less light, and less water.. You just have an unhappy plant. Not a dormant plant.

Keeping sarras under lights while they are dormant is just going to confuse the plants. they go dormant because the temperatures drop and so does the photoperiod. If you keep them under lights they don't know where they are at, because they still have long days and heat. It's a bit late this year to change things, the growing season is almost upon us, but I would ditch the lights next year, use them for plants that don't need a dormancy.

Yeah Kirk,

lights are not necessary. mine are in a garage with one north-facing window. I have no problems at all with them.

Mine are outside, temps anywhere from 35F at night to 55-60F during the day. I have flavas flowering, so I can't say that flourescents had anything to do with this, but I sure would like to pin it on something!!! Checked again, and here comes a Wilkerson bog s. moorei flower. Photoperiod?

How many hours daylight do you have Bugweed?
In Jan we have light from about 7.30am until 4pm.

Sunlight hours here are 7:30 am to 5:30 pm right now. 10 hours. This is a first for me. Having plants awake before March is rare, and April is usually when it all starts.

That's really strange, Bugweed. you're in northern Cal, right?
Photoperiod can't be the cause. We're down here in the sub-tropics and this morning at dawn I took a stroll among the benches to see hundreds of Sarrs in a deep sleep. Michelle has actually started to repot and divide...starting with the flavas and then the leucos.

trent

I've tried reasoning with them, but my pleas fell on deaf leaves. They seem to think its time. They even convinced my s. alata, aerolated form. Sending up leaves right now. Me? i am scratching my head watching the hair fall out, and am in wonder. NEVER in my growing experience have I ever seen this, so I guess I will go with the flow and see what happens next.

Kirk...I think the fact that you have them under lights is the problem. Unless you have them set to a short photo period. As some have stated here, they don't really need light during dormancy (since some people toss the rhizomes in the fridge). They needs cooler temps and less light...as they would be experiencing in their native habitat.

oh well since Jeremiah started breaking his from dormancy i copied him they're all growing best of any season so far even when i lived in florida! theyre in a window now because the greenhouse isnt ready for them yet

Here in Rome, the sun rise at 7:30 and goes down at 17:30. We had wind from Africa and yesterday the weather was hot (20°C). Cold temperature will return this week end. But I saw first sings of growth on a S. oreophila.......
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Jan. 16 2006,2:56)]they are definatly dormant, most of them are not even growing a little
A have a large number of the Covington S. alata.

They are in my large outdoor bog, and have been dormant, annd about half are sending up flowers, with no signs of new pitchers yet.

This is normal behaviour for Saracennia; it wouldn't serve much evolutionary purpose to devour the pollinators.

Leave the flowers and enjoy them.

If they're not pitchering well, perhaps you need to adjust their environment; mine were all prolific pitcherers last year, but i grow them outside in their native climate.

No fair! I want flowers! I'm up here in the Puget Sound, Washington and no go. A few of my hardy hybrids seem to be putting out new leaves, but everything else is still asleep. My sunrise/sunset is 7:30a to 5:15p... isn't ten hours enough? Another month and it will be nearly 12! I would have expected buds by now. Oh well... guess I'll just have to wait some more.
~Joe

Back