Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starving Alata's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 30 Alata sprouts that are starving for food but they are WAY to small to feed and I cant put them outside (To cold). All of them have stopped growing and some have started to die. The one Alata that did catch a little food is twice the size of the others, but even it has stopped growing. Is there any way to feed them? I dont want any of them to die.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you think they are dying of starvation? I doubt that is the case. Remember, these plants do not HAVE to feed on bugs. They have chlorophyll and grow just like any other plant. So lack of food should not be the reason they are dying...especially if they are very small seedlings.

What are the conditions you have these "sprouts" in? Substrate, temps, moisture, lighting, etc.? That info would help diagnose what the problem is.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are gowing next to all my neps, sundews, and VFT's in my room. All the other plants are fine, including all my sundew sprouts I planted at the same time. I'm not sure what the exact temps and humidity of my room is but they are planted in strait LFS under about 200w of total light. All in all I treat them like all my other plants. They stay moist, get misted often, and have lots of room to grow. When they first started growing they took off, but now, nothing. Also the one that did catch a little food grew like crazy for a while then slowed and stopped.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What light period are they under?

It's not unusual for sarracenia seedling to sit around not doing anything for a couple of months. As long as they are still green and look healthy, they'll be fine.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read somewhere that Sarracenia seedlings will stop growing all of a sudden, and that you need to repot them to trick them into growing again.
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....edlings
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's an inbuilt thing. With enough tissue for photosynthesis, they'll store up the sugars to increase the rhizome size.
    I've got seedlings to maturity in year three without repots (just lifting out the existing peat block and placing it in a bigger pot).
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I repoted them last night so I'll wait and see if they do any better. Thanks for all the help guys.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rail -

I think Alvin's right on with the idea that the plants are just developing additional rhizome size, without developing any additional leaf structure. If the plants are getting plenty of light, then perhaps the leaves that are already there are sufficient to produce all the mass that the plants need to increase their rhizomes. Have you by any chance been keeping an eye on the rhizomes as well?

Mike
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast