Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Applying orthene/acephate

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shade, eh? I don't have a lot of shade on my porch but I guess I could keep them under my benches for a few days. Do you think that treating them as I repot (unpot, spray the leaves, rinse the roots and then pot up) would help? Or would that just increase the risk of root poisoning?
    ~Joe

PS - And what do you think about doing both acephate and malathion? If I want to treat my cacti for scale I'll have to move them outside for a while, so I figure I should treat the rest of the plants they'll be around preemptively to avoid cross-contamination.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray the leaves, wash the rhizome, repot, and stand back and wait for spring.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you've been a big help Bugs, and I'm sorry if I'm being a pest, but what about the acephate? I would just go with the malathion and leave it at that, except I keep finding things that look vaguely like scale on the above mentioned trade plants that formerly had scale. I'm confused, though; the little whitish things on the leaves fall off readily when poked, which I'm told is a sign that they're dead, but keep reappearing, which suggests to me that they're very much alive. This is such a headache! While I'm still asking questions, do you think that being in a greenhouse with 4 mil semi-translucent plastic sheeting will provide enough shade for the malation-treated plants?
    Thanks again Bugs, you're a lifesaver.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]For the record, Orthene, aside from smelling exceptionally foul, is fairly benign to anything except the above mentioned "suckers".
    whatchu talking bout VFT? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deal with the chewers first, Joe. Then the orthene for the wooly aphids.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 26 2006,6:32)]
    Quote[/b] ]For the record, Orthene, aside from smelling exceptionally foul, is fairly benign to anything except the above mentioned "suckers".
    whatchu talking bout VFT? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    I have used Orthene for a couple years now. Its never killed or injured a single plant, pet, or person that I am aware of. Its never damaged any pots or water trays. Near as I can tell the only thing this stuff hurts is the bad buggies I got it for in the first place.

EDIT: and if you are refering to the "smelling exceptionally foul" comment.. SMELL the stuff.. it could scare the flys off a garbage pit...
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar:

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, Ortho systemic insect killer is pretty harmless. The only dangers it possess to you is its nasty smell and will probably make you really sick if you drank it.

I've actually just recently used it on my plants, had some kind of bug infestation inside my grow chamber. I'm guessing there were eggs laid in the pots from my outdoor CP's.

Anyways you just mix the stuff as the directions say to do so. I mixed mine in a gallon of distilled water, then just marked the gallon as insecticide for future usage. Then all I have to do is shake it up and put it in the sprayer.

As for application, I just sprayed the foilage and the surface. Your plants will take in the ortho through the foilage, and will be protected for a few weeks. I spray the surface as well because the stuff kills the bugs on contact and will kill the eggs. I have never had any ill effects to my CP's, only to the dead bugs. Happy sprayin!
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you guys can say what you will about Orthene, but my roommate's father was a horticulturalist in the 70s/80s - before there were laws about handling procedures and warning labels for agrochemicals - and he's got all sorts of scary chronic illnesses from exposure to this kind of stuff. I'm sick all the time as it is - I don't need some bug spray giving me seizures, diarrhea and acute respiratory distress (all symptoms of acephate poisoning.) And it's particularly disruptive to the developmental process; puberty has been bad enough for me already. So, yeah, I appreciate your reassurances but I'd rather not take too many chances. ;)
    ~Joe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast