What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting heliamphora in detail

Well guys my h. Minor is finally getting too big for the pot. Besides that I'm sort of greedy with this plant and want baby ones. Now about a year ago I tried to divide it and ended up breaking a pitcher. I know some people say they're so brittle to not divide them at all. How exactly would you go about this?

I have not heard that you should not divide them. Their brittle nature makes division super easy in fact.

To repot I would gently turn the pot over and gently knock the plant loose. Tease the old media away from the roots gently and then gently repot in a larger pot.

While it is unpotted you can find where a growth point attaches to the main rhizome and pop it free. Mine have always tended to be kind of tight together so I just use a toothpick to pry them apart, that pressure is usually enough to snap the connection. If you break the roots on the parent or the divison I suggest the sphag and bag method, other than that just treat them like you normally do.

Back