What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sar seeds

hi guys, i just got a whole bunch of sar seeds from the new england wild flower soceity and just want to know in your opinons which is the best method to chose from to germinate them? any extra things i might not know bout? i know the basics of cp seed sowing, i just wanted to know a little bit more from more experinced growers.

Like what, z5? Stratification? Artificial light growing? What?

Mt preferred method is to buy one of the small square germination trays that are sold at garden centers, and wal-mart. I save the peat chips foor something else. I use a mix of 40/40/20 Sand/peat/LFS. Place the seeds on top of the soil mix. Treat soil and seeds with a fungacide. funganex or neem oil woks well for me. Place the whole container with the top on in the fridge for three Mo. Aftyer that you can either place it in the sun or under grow lamps. I prefer grow light because once the seeds germinate and sprout you can keep them under 24 hour lighting. Once you have plantletts remove the lid a little more each day to acclimate the Sarrs to your humidity.

Method 1:

Sow on sphagnum peat in a greenhouse or cold frame. They will germinate when the weather warms up in April.

Method 2:

Wrap seeds in paper towel and then wet the whole thing with rainwater. Wrap in foil and place in the fridge for 5 weeks. Then sow on sphagnum peat and keep on a sunny windowsill.

I've never had any fungus problems with seeds, so I wouldn't bother with the fungicide personally.

I've used the paper towel method as well but last year when I did it I ended up with seedcicles in a bag. The germination rate was horibble after that. Of course I could have gotten some bad seed, or any number of variables could have caused this. I would think sisnce you live in Mass. you be OK putting them outside. In Texas the weather is alot warmer so fungus and mold seem to be more prevalant.

thanks guys, i think ill try the frigde method

I have had fungus problems with sarra seed. If you put them in the fridge DONT put them in a ziplock bag, that was where I made my mistake.

thanks for the warning, ill keep an eye on it.

I have had no problems when stratifying the seed in a small ziplock bag with a small amount of moist live sphagnum. I leave the seed in the fridge for 4-5 weeks and get great germination within 3 weeks after sowing on peat and sand with a top dressing of live sphagnum for extra humidity.

I'm trying a modified Bugweed / JBL approach. I have the seeds in craft store bags, in very cold water, for 3 months. And then I'll put them at room temp on media. I'll let ya know if it works!

The best method I know of was passed down to me by Brooks Garcia (Sarraceniaobsessed) we both have achieved almost 100% germination rates with it I have germinated: Sarracenia, VFTs, Cobra Lilies, and some rotundofolias with this method. What he told me to do is to put the seeds on a paper towel, wet it then squeeze, then put it in a ziplock bag and label leave in the fridge for 1-2 months and pull them out, let the paper towel dry and sow the seeds on your soil

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Feb. 02 2006,11:06)]The best method I know of was passed down to me by Brooks Garcia (Sarraceniaobsessed) we both have achieved almost 100% germination rates with it I have germinated: Sarracenia, VFTs, Cobra Lilies, and some rotundofolias with this method. What he told me to do is to put the seeds on a paper towel, wet it then squeeze, then put it in a ziplock bag and label leave in the fridge for 1-2 months and pull them out, let the paper towel dry and sow the seeds on your soil
That is exactly the method I used and got 100% fungal infected seeds. I tried to grow them anyway, just in case any were still viable but but got zero germination. I have been advised to wrap the damp paper towel in foil in future. I haven't tried that yet. I now just put the seed into seed trays in the greenhouse at the beginning of February and let them stratify naturally as they would in the wild.

Back