What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My sarracenias are breaking dormancy!

<span style='color:Teal'>Hey there!

I want to ask to those of you that cultivate Sarracenia plants in the tropics, how are your Sarracenia dealing with dormancy right now? I mean, i want to hear about your experience.

My plants started to got dormant by late last November (notice that i am in Puerto Rico i the Caribbean Sea). This year they produced only very few winter leaves, but they stopped the growth entirely.

And a couple of weeks ago they came back to growth, so i guess they already broke their dormancy.

Bellow you will see some of my plants with new growth. The pics are not of a high quality, but i wanted to share them with you, guys.

Here is a Sarracenia Brunswick Beauty, that turned into a faded red, and green last fall, and now has started to produce new pitchers that are vivid red:
SARRACENIABRUNSWICKBEAUTYJAN282006.jpg

Bellow you can see my biggest S. Tarnok. The 2 years that i have had it, it has always been a plant that only reaches from 4 to 6 inches of height, now look at the bigger pitcher that is 13 inches tall. I am so proud of she:
SARRACENIATARNOKJAN282006.jpg

Here is my S. Courtii. It has always been a small plant, no more than 4 inches of leaf-span, but it is always a happy sight to see it come back from winter:
SARRACENIACOURTIIJAN282006.jpg

And bellow is my bigger S. Scarlet Belle. This was the first Sarracenia i had and each year gets bigger and bigger, as well as the pot that i have to find to re-pot it:
SARRACENIASCARLETBELLEJAN282006.jpg

So, guys, tell us about your experience with Sarracenia dormancy in the tropics. And to those that are in norther regions, is it too early for sarracenias up there to dreak dormancy?

Have a great evening,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Hi,
I've never tried it or heard of anyone that had but if you can't cool them artificially to dormacy temperatures you can try to give them a shorter photoperiod, it might do the trick...

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello Yoss!

Well, In the fall-winter of 2004-2005 the temperatures here dropped to the low 50's F, so it was cool enough for my Sarr's to get deeply sleep and for a longer period.

But this year has not been that cool (lowest temp only 69F). But even so, my plants went dormant from November to early January. The trick to induse them into dormancy was exactly what you said, the shorter photoperiod and also other tricks:)

During this time of the year the sun light does not reach directly my "temperate greenhouse" Only indirect and filtered light get into it. Adding to this, that the natural photoperiod is shorter and that i water my plant fewer times, i guess all these things help my northern plants to get dormant.

Now i am very, very happy to see that my plants are coming back with more strength
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

I expect it to be a few weeks yet before mine break dormancy. the grow points are swelling so I know the flowers are not too far away now. I can't wait.

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello! Is there any way i can know if my plants will porduce flowers before they produce the flower stalk?

I am nerviously waiting to see if they will produce flowers this year, since i have never had Sarracenia flowers. It would be great if i can know if they will porduce them
smile.gif

I feel lucky this year, because several of my other CP's have produced flowers for the first time for me, so maybe this is the year for my Sarracenia plants also
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilias' Garden</span>

Hola Jorge Joel!
I envy your climate....too cold in New Jersey, despite a mild winter! Generally the dormant growing point/bud is fatter on plants that will bloom. This is hard to describe, but will be more obvious when you first see it. Generally the flower bud emerges pretty quickly after the plant first breaks dormancy, and looks like a little ball emerging from the dormant bud.

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello Woodnative! I see... Well i will look my plants to see if i find some sign of flower porduction according to your description
smile.gif

Thnaks for your hint
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back