What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats your flower count so far?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 21 2006,12:49)]Whats the most flowers on a single plant?  I have a S. oreophilla that has 15 buds on it. I never thought any Sar would make that many flowers at once.
Steve- My largest minor had 67 flowers on it last year.

WOWZA!!! 67 flowers on one plant!!! That is one large plant DANG!!!!!! Have any pictures of the plant Philcula? I would love to see the size of that thing!

LOL!! Orchid Guy, 1200 buds would probably be Philcula's LOW count!!!!!! My collection is but a drop next to his.

I guess you can tell I am new to these guys still. LOL I am not firmiliar with Philcula. I know there are some big growers, but WOW 1200 being a low count? Dang I bet its awsome looking t a field of Sarr flowers in the spring. That is what I think is neet about Sarrs. They all flower roughly about the same time so you have ALOT of flowers at one time. With my orchids the seasons are spread out so I have 2 or 3 plants in bloom just about all the time. It wasn't like that when I started, but its getting better. LOL I can't imagine seeing a Sarr with 67 flowers on the one plant. Its just hard for me to imagine not ever seeing one. I still would like to see it. LOL My collection is just starting. I hope to be like bugweed or even Philcula and have fields of Sarrs. Not to mention all the different variations of species plants. I'm still stoked about my ONE flower.
smile_n_32.gif
With JBL's two I have a wopping 3 flowers to look at this year. Just can only get the seeds from the one hybred though. Since I hear Tornoks's Luco is sterile. Shucks.

Josh-

That S. minor is a very large plant. But what I noticed was that each growth point sent out anywhere from 3 to 5 flowers each. I had never really noticed this before and had no idea they could do this. But certain species and/or hybrids can.

It is a pleasure seeing so many plants in flower in large collections like Bugs and myself. But it's also reeeeeeeeeally messy! At least it is in my experience, LOL! I actually don't let my plants flower completely. What I mean is if I am not planning to do any crossings I remove 2/3rds of the buds from each plant and just enjoy a few. My collection is huge, yes but not like Botanique. They're the undisputed Sarracenia champs.

I grow my collection in 2 locations, Northern and Southern California. My nursery in so Cal has instructions to remove all the flowers on the plants after 2 weeks because I maintain all breeding rights here in nor Cal. Believe me it's a lot of work. Especially when you have thousands of other cp to deal with. It's obviously worth it to me otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. And Sarracenia make SUPERB cut flowers; the flowers, not the pitchers. Deep red leucophylla with crisp white calla lily...ahhhhh...spring!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ Mar. 21 2006,9:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 21 2006,12:49)]Whats the most flowers on a single plant?  I have a S. oreophilla that has 15 buds on it. I never thought any Sar would make that many flowers at once.
Steve- My largest minor had 67 flowers on it last year.
HOLY SMOKES!!! Well I knew that you would undoubtedly blow me away but 67 flowers??!! Thats amazing... I cant wait to come see those.

Cheers
Steve

PS. I have 60 buds total now

Those were fantastic Phil. Thanks for sharing, loved the color contrast of reds and greens!
smile.gif

Now THAT was beautiful!!!! Thank you, Phil. Lots!

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Thanks alot for a glimps of your plants. I know you said its messy, but why cut the flowers? I guess if your wanting to keep things neet and tiddy the dead flowers is not the way to go with it. I can see having cut flowers though. Those would be nice too. When you say breeding rights your just saying you only breed with the plants in your norther nursery? Thats very interesting. Makes me wish I was in Cali now so I had a few Sarr nurserys to visit. Being in GA I don't know of any. There are two orchid nurseries, but they both are about a hour and a half away. Seems like these guys are something else I need to grow when I start my nursery.
smile_n_32.gif
Oneday. Oneday. Nursing school first. Thanks again! The photos were great and jaw dropping. drooling for more.
smile_n_32.gif

OK all! This morning: 303 buds!!

And I thought I would be lucky to get 150. WOW!!!

woo hoo You go BW!!! When they atart to open could you possibly get one of your friends with a digi camera to take a pic of them for us?

Wow Phil! We are speachless.

As for 303 buds!!!... post some pics soon Bugweed. We are waiting in anticipation.
biggrin.gif

Trent, some of those you gave me are popping out anywhere from 1 to 3 buds from all points on each plant. I think they decided to stay!

How many buds today Bugweed? Glad those Sarrs are doing well for you, no surprise.

We stopped counting at 200 flowers.

Shoulda stopped when I had the chance, Trent. Now I count everyday, and change only the number of buds found coming up here. The s. oreophila's just exploded with 8 buds in one day. Hurricane Creek with three, Leah Wilkerson with two, and my Alabama s. flava var. rugelii have 7 between 4 plants. The rubra's are PROLIFIC to say the least. Only psitts and minor are holding out so far. 14 buds in the s. alata from St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana from the power cut rescue, not Covington, La.

Wow, and I was excited because I have three buds...... Can you adopt me Bugweed? I dont take up much room and you only need to feed me once in awhile

dgower82, consider yourself adopted. Be here in one hour, and I will give you my entire collection. The time is 10:25 a.m. PST, Saturday. Let's see if you can get here on time!

329 buds today.

Back