Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Examples of Sarr Dormancy and growth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

We noticed a few posts about Sarracenia dormancy, and what they should look like while dormant.

The below pictures show the dramatic contrast between a healthy Sarracenia in dormancy and early summer pitchers. The photo on the left was taken in early February, just before they will begin to come out of dormancy. The photo on the right was taken in May. It's our beautiful S. moorei#2 (nat hyb of flava x leucophylla).

Not all dormant Sarracenia display the phyllodia like in the pic above. This is a trait of S. flava and S. leuco. Notice the red growth tips down by the rhizome. You can see they're getting ready to put on a show. They look just awful right now. For all the North American growers, all of your Sarrs should still be resting, excluding the oddball early flowers that leave us scratching our heads (we only have 2 just starting to show buds forming, but hundreds more are still sleeping).

We'll post more pics of other Sarrs resting. As they begin the spring season, we'll update this thread to show them springing to life.
    -
    Trent and Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good examples Trent and Michelle I like to trim all the pitchers off mine when i take them in for dormancy is that okay? It worked this winter but I need to know if this will work for the long term
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kirk. Yes, you can trim off all dead pitchers. Don't cut off the phyllodia, they send up that winter leaf for a reason. The plant in the pic has ratty looking phyllodia, but they still help the plant's photosynthesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually give mine a haircut in mid-March, while the plants and I discuss politics! It has never harmed them. i also have trimmed them at the beginning of dormancy. S. leuco was not thrilled, but grew, as did the s. flava's. The s. oreophila protested the phyllodial cutting, and grew somewhat slower. So, I changed haircutting time to mis-March. They really threw me a curve this year. I have flowers coming up, and leaves as well. A rescued clump of s. alata from St. Tammany Parrish in Louisiana from a power cut (not Covington, La.) have 10 flower stalks coming up, and some leaves. Very odd winter, but they had a good dormancy, and I will not complain about them growing! I think that late winter or early March is best for phyllodia removal, but others may have had different experiences, and should post their observations as well. I am Bugweed, and I approve this message. LOL!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my sarrs out all year, they seem to like our timid winters enough for dormancy. They're just barely beginning to show signs of waking up, I justed divided and repotted my S. Alata this weekend. Did I divide to late in the season? (I've had the alata for almost 2 years, it started as one ryzome, and now it's five [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you have repotted and divided at just the right time. I find that sarras can be potted and divided at almost any time of the year without problems, though the best time is probably between January and March.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 04 2006,11:51)]I usually give mine a haircut in mid-March, while the plants and I discuss politics! It has never harmed them. i also have trimmed them at the beginning of dormancy. S. leuco was not thrilled, but grew, as did the s. flava's. The s. oreophila protested the phyllodial cutting, and grew somewhat slower. So, I changed haircutting time to mis-March. They really threw me a curve this year. I have flowers coming up, and leaves as well. A rescued clump of s. alata from St. Tammany Parrish in Louisiana from a power cut (not Covington, La.) have 10 flower stalks coming up, and some leaves. Very odd winter, but they had a good dormancy, and I will not complain about them growing! I think that late winter or early March is best for phyllodia removal, but others may have had different experiences, and should post their observations as well. I am Bugweed, and I approve this message. LOL!
    wow! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] ten! Mines doing pretty good, sent up a flower stalk but itll be a long while before its to that point
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS