What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph digestive juices

I was moving one of my Cephs around within my grow chamber and I accidently spilled some of the juices out of one of the newly opened pitchers. I don't think all of it came out, but a good portion of it did. Is this a bad thing? Will the pitcher die because of it? Can I somehow replenish the juices by feeding the pitcher a bug or maybe refilling it with distilled water?

I have had pitchers dry up if a good portion of fluid is spilled from the pitcher. No ill effect will happen to the plant other then the pitcher drying up. I do not think replenishing the fluid will help, but could be worth a try.

w my last plants i just have the plants and they die.. the ones new are reciving much love and atention... im sure the plant will be fine, u take care alot abouth u plants, i dont know whuts going on w the trap, but i just hope the best, good luck
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Feb. 04 2006,6:21)]I have had pitchers dry up if a good portion of fluid is spilled from the pitcher. No ill effect will happen to the plant other then the pitcher drying up. I do not think replenishing the fluid will help, but could be worth a try.
Dang, I was afraid of that. I guess it'll teach me to be much more careful when moving any of my Cephs around. I think I may try to put some water back into the pitcher though...

Though, don't most people say not to put in water since it messes up the digestive fluid? You could put a teeny drop of milk in, and that would make the plant produce loads more digestive enzymes, and it would fill up the pitcher a bit more. But, I suppose that's not much different from water.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Feb. 05 2006,11:01)]You could put a teeny drop of milk in, and that would make the plant produce loads more digestive enzymes, and it would fill up the pitcher a bit more.
I wouldn't risk putting milk in it, it may cause the trap to rot and harm the rest of your plant.
Just leave it like that for a while, it won't kill your plant however, cephs may experience and survive fires in the wild so an empty pitcher shouldn't be much of a problem.
add a drop of distilled water if you like but nothing else.

I've also had pitchers dry up after the fluid was spilled out.  I think this is also the reason why pitchers die back after being shipped.  For some reason the addition of RO water doesn't help.

If it were my plants I'd go right ahead and put in some water in to the pitcher. Chances are that if it'll dry up, it'll do so due to the above average exposure to the increased surface area exposed to air (dry dry dry!) I wouldn't be hesitant to put some water in there. But that's just me.

That's what i actually do!. I put RO water and they are fine.

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Feb. 05 2006,8:11)]If it were my plants I'd go right ahead and put in some water in to the pitcher.  Chances are that if it'll dry up, it'll do so due to the above average exposure to the increased surface area exposed to air (dry dry dry!)  I wouldn't be hesitant to put some water in there.  But that's just me.
I actually did put water in the pitcher yesterday and so far the pitcher hasn't dried up. We'll see as the week progresses.

Updates?!!? hehe

Hahahaha
biggrin.gif

The pitcher hasn't dried up yet and doesn't show any signs of doing that any time soon. Seems like the water saved it!

Glad to hear that it worked out!
smile.gif

Back