What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia x scarlet belle in South Florida

I was just recently lucky enough to be the gift recipient of 3 sarracenia scarlet belle hybrids. In all of the mass amounts of reading I have been doing over the past 3 days, I have seen in many articles that dormancy is required for these plants. Being as I am living in a zone 10 region, the temperature rarely drops to the required levels to keep my plants in dormancy. So, here's my questions: Is dormancy required to keep my plants healthy and happy? And, if so, how do I induce and maintain dormancy in such a warm climate? I was originally thinking of refrigeration, but I have read that doing this would nearly immediately kill the plants from temperature change shock. I thank you for taking your time to help me keep these gorgeous plants alive and well, Corey

Hi

Yes, all sarracenia need dormancy. Since it's Feb though and your plants are in full growth, keep them going somewhere warm.
At the end of the year you could do the fridge method - just aclimatise them (one day in, one day out for a couple of weeks before putting them in permanently).

<span style='color:teal'>Hello Corey!
smile.gif

I think that you will not have any problems with your Scarlett Belle in Florida.It does not matter where in Florida you live.

I live in Puerto Rico, and i cultivate Sarracenia here in the middle of the Caribbean. For most of my Sarracenia plants what i do to induce dormancy is to place them in a site where they will not recieve direct sun-light in the winter and I low the quantity of water and waterings. I let the mini-bogs where i cultivate them to dry, leaving only less than 1 inche of water in the bottom. This, plus the short photoperiod in winter, that the sun-light is not that strong as in the rest of the year and that natural temps get a little cooler, drive most of my Sarr's into dormancy.

When i say most of my Sarr's, i imply that there is an exception. And the exception is my Scarlett Belle plants. From all my Sarr's, my Scarlett Belle plants are the first to go into dormancy, they normally do it by late october, or November and they got dormant naturally. With the least change in photoperiod and the least drop of temperatures they got dormant naturally. So all i do with these plants is to water them less.

Notice that i am in Puerto Rico, more to the south than you in Florida. So i am sure that your Sacrlett Belle plants will not need any help to go into dormancy in the Fall of 2006 there in Florida
smile.gif

At least that is my opinion because of my experience
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Thank you both sooo much for your responses.... Seeing as how I have 3 of these beuties, I will try both methods listed, and see which gives me the best results come next winter. The plants as i received them were dormant rhizomes, and since it is beginning to warm up here already, I figured it was as good a time as any to bring them out of dormancy. When I'm ready to bring the fridge plant out of dormancy, do I have to re-acclimate it to outdoors temperatures again, 1 day in, 1 day out for a week or so like I will when putting it into dormancy, or do I just take it back outside directly? One more thing though... When putting it into dormancy, do I cut it back, or just let it be? Thanks again for helping me have happy plants~~ Corey
confused.gif

Back