Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Dormancy Attempt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bug, I am puzzled. If you put them in the fridge, and they're wet, it's a no-no. But if you keep them submerged(which is, after all, very wet)and cold outside it works out better? Keeping them really, really wet prevents fungus? I'm not challenging you AT ALL...I'm just confused! I also understood these plants need light during dormancy...they can't be getting too much light in the fridge.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April, some of the healthiest, largest, and happy plants I have seen in the wild Somwhere in South Carolina, were s. flavas growing in and around a small pond. S. flavas were growing everywhere, even into the fringes of the pond out as far as 2 feet from the edge, 4" under. THEY WERE IMMENSE and happy. Their condition stayed that way all year long, including winter. I am sure the water moving along helped a lot. Kept the soil well oxygenated, which helps ward off fungus. That is how I grow mine. And they love it.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is confusing. So many people provide dormancy in so many diverse ways. I think the only options I have currently are my dark garage (and I read that they still need light during dormancy, so I don't know), and my fridge.

It's said that poor circulation encourages mold, but a lot of people put their plants in plastic bags if they give them fridge dormancies. When I got my plants out of the garage and fridge, none of them had mold or anything on them. They just looked dead, which leads me to believe I either put them in too early, or they just didn't have enough energy stored to survive the winter.

I bet my garage would be a good temperature and would protect them from freezing wind, but I'm not sure if they'd get enough light (if they need it, which I'm also not sure about, because contrary to the myth, the light does turn off when you close your refrigerator door. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img])

Bare-rooting them and bagging them in the fridge also seems like a good idea, because I don't think they'd require light, and I'd be able to check up on the rhizome and roots to see if they're doing alright, but due to space constraints, I'd have to clip off most or all of the leaves, which I'm also not sure about.

*************** advises you to keep living leaves if doing a garage dormancy, but instead advises that you cut off all "carnivorous leaves" if you're doing a fridge dormancy. I gather that means you keep the phyllodia (which only occur on S. Oreophila?). The only exception is S. purpurea, with which you only rinse out the pitchers, and keep them attached.

If I did a fridge dormancy, and cut off all of the leaves, how would the plant sense an increased photoperiod while coming out of dormancy? Does the increased temperature kind of start the leaves growing, which then detect the increased photoperiod?

Also, which one of the two dormancy options I outlined do you think would work the best?

P.S. JBL, that's amazingly generous of you. I'll send you a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the ways i use tot ell if theyre dead is i see if the leaves come off easilly if i pull a little bit ususally if theyre wet at teh abse and come right off I let them in for about 3 weeks before i throw them out
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mannex-
    I think your garage would be fine (no light in the fridge after the door is closed either). My garage does not have enough light for normal plant growth. There is a small window which allows me to see, but as far as a plant is concerned it is dark. They do fine. Like I said, I leave them outside until a hard freeze threatens and then bring them in the garage for the winter.
    Generally, don't cut anything off that is still green. I cut my plants back now (Feb or March), just removing brown sections and dead leaves etc. They will begin growing in April.
    Interesting thing about the dark, cool garage. I also keep a couple "tropicals" in there that would normally want full sun, like a potted lemon tree. My house has limited sunny windows. Warmth plus darkness is bad, as they try to actively grow but don't have enough sun to do so. The lemon generally lost nearly all it's leaves by Spring (but would recover over summer). The last two years I have also kept it in the dark garage. Because it is cool, it has stayed green and healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the garage method this winter as well and so far all my sarras and cobras are doing great. However, make sure you elevate your plants if you live in or near a wooded area. I lost all my VFTs, including some very rare (and expensive) clones to mice this winter. They got all of them in one night. Little b*stards. Mouse traps still work very well though. >;-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact
    plants kept in the refrigrator all winter do fine with no light.
    because if its COLD enough, (35-40F) the plants are in a deep dormancy and need no light. they are not growing. they should only be slightly damp, wrapped tightly in plastic, so no water escapes.
    and they should be kept outdoors all season so that they begin to go dormant naturally all autumn outdoors. then, when they go into the fridge in early November, they are already naturally dormant.
    under these conditions, the "fridge method" works fine..
    but all those conditions must be met.

FACT
    Plants kept fully submerged all winter, under water, in cool temps,
    do fine. Mold doesnt grow under water.

Speculation, but probably true.
    Plants put into the fridge too wet will die.

Speculation, but probably true.
    Plants put straight into the fridge *without* being slowly acclimated to a natural reduction of photoperiod and temps first, will probably die.
    Plants should be outdoors from late summer through all of autumn, becore they go into the fridge.

outdoors the entire growing season. (April - October in the Northern US) is MUCH better than indoors.

Scot

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some VFT outside from Augest to a week before thanksgiving when the windchill out down to 6F and I put them in the fridge and they died. Maybe because they were frozen then their little 3in pot and I tried to thaw them out and then put them in the fridge? I put them pot and all in and they were sitting in a water tray. So the questions is should they not be in a water tray or is it ok?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast