Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My First Dormancy Attempt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies. I think this fall I'll keep them outside a little longer, to ensure that they've gone into dormancy, and then just put their pots in the garage. I doubt my mom would be too happy about plants taking up her fridge space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe because they were frozen then their little 3in pot and I tried to thaw them out
    Mistake number 1!

Quote[/b] ]I put them pot and all in and they were sitting in a water tray. So the questions is should they not be in a water tray
    Mistake number 2!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Keep them out of water during dormancy as it will encourage rot. Cold will prevent the soil drying out and keep it damp.
    I tried to thaw out some plants years ago as well - they soon turned into piles of mush.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea mine were brown and mushy. So if they are cold they won't dry out? Whcih means you pretty much don't have to water them at all right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats EXACTLY how mine looked when i brought it out...and it grew mold. it was in a fridge and i didnt water it the whole time. when i did bring it out i cut off a new growth point and it was tough(the rizome) so i thought it was still alive. it also had manyGREENsprigs. the mold i think it succumbed to was damp off like. my next sarr i get im going to try growing it outside and in the winter mulch it up. wish me luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so glad I live in an area where these things can be left outside for dormancy. No water just when it happens to rain. I don't think I lost anything yet. Everything looks as thought it will come back. Even the Altas that were just rizomes when I got them look ok and possibly come up. They even were out a couple of nights when it froze. No mulch just the pots sitting on an over turned tray on the ground. My VFTs are starting to grow already. I have no flowers yet, but thats ok plants are alive. I think.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh! Lucky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Feb. 24 2006,7:45)]Yea mine were brown and mushy. So if they are cold they won't dry out? Whcih means you pretty much don't have to water them at all right?
    oh! I forgot a step!
    plants in the fridge should be wrapped tightly in plastic!
    so no water escapes all winter.
    they need no watering at all for the three months they are in the fridge. they remain "not too wet, not too dry" all winter.

Here is my "year in the life" thread..this is how I do my fridge dormancy..I lost a lot of my pics when the ********** personal spaces had to be deleted..I will try to restore more of them..

Year in the Life of my CPs

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative thread. Thanks for the link.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234