Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Dormancy Attempt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Well, I do believe I fouled up my first attempt at giving my plants a winter dormancy. I put two VFT's into the fridge in baggies, and my small sarracenia and another VFT into a cupboard in my cold garage. I figured that would emulate being a fridge, because the garage is cold, and it would be as dark as a fridge in there. One of the fridge VFTs and the other cupboard VFT succumbed to mold I guess, and the rhizome was mush.

Part of where I screwed up was the fact that I cut off all growth on the sarrs before stuffing them in the cupboard, because I thought it was all pretty much dead, and I wanted to avoid mold. When I got them out and potted them up last night, there was no green on any of them, but the rhizomes seemed hard and woody, so I guess they could still be alive. The roots were also woody-textured.

I put them in pots, and right now I'm hoping for the best. Is there a possibility that they could grow back from the rhizome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesn't look very promising to me but tou never know, always worth a try, this dormancy I put mine under lights and they did just fine, theyre even coming out of dormancy with no problems whatsoever, If you have the oppurtunity you shoudl try it next year, seems to be very effective
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Feb. 22 2006,7:00)]this dormancy I put mine under lights and they did just fine, theyre even coming out of dormancy with no problems whatsoever, If you have the oppurtunity you shoudl try it next year, seems to be very effective
    So you leave them outside until they go into dormancy due to the weather, and then you bring them inside and just keep them under lights? Do you have to reduce the temperature in the room that you keep them in?

I was thinking for my next attempt, I'm just going to take the plant out of the pot and stick it in the fridge in a bag with peat.

I'm not that bummed out though, because I got them last year at Home Depot for $1.50 or so each.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They could come back from the rhizome, as far as I know. New growth points should be able to develope. Let 'em sit, give them light, and as long as things don't go mushy, there's hope! Good luck!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually what i did is just take them in around thanksgiving or maybe a little before regardelss of how they were growing and put them under lights, no special temperature modifications needed to be added although i should add my window has no insulation of any kind so it gets pretty cold in my room, around 45 degrees coldest
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear..those pics dont look too promising. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    my Sarr rhizomes always have some green still on them when they come out of the fridge..

how wet did you keep them?
    the only thing I can think of that could go wrong is that they were kept too wet..
    I always overwinter my sarrs in their pots..cut away all the pitchers, let the pots dry out somewhat, then bag them up and put them in the fridge..
    I had no deaths this year..out of around 30 sarrs.

since all 4 are possibly dead, it must be due to some condition they all had in common..im betting too wet.

but! dont give up yet!
    maybe there is some life in those rhizomes yet..keep them going for a few months, see what happens!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Feb. 22 2006,8:03)]maybe there is some life in those rhizomes yet..keep them going for a few months, see what happens!
    Months? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I think I'd just rather dump them and order some new ones to replace them. I think it'd be a better use of the pots. I mean, I only had them for one sub-par Home Depot growing season, so I'm not attatched to them or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Feb. 22 2006,8:02)]although i should add my window has no insulation of any kind so it gets pretty cold in my room, around 45 degrees coldest
    Do you like, wear a coat in your room? That's cold! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast