Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet more questions on stratifying Sarr seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have used the freeze/thaw method but only on tardy seeds that did not want to come up even after 4-5 weeks mosit stratifacation. I did have limited sucess. Here is what I understand about Sarracenia seed and the need for a cold/ wet straticafation. (other wise known as vernalization) Sarr seeds are hydrophobic. Take some and put them in to a glass of water and you will see that they float. This is a natrual mechanisim of seed dispersal. The seeds drop in the fall, the winter rains come and float the seeds away from the parent plant, the waters receed and hopefully they have landed in an ideal situtation to germinate and grow. This waxy coating is removed by cold and wet or at least weaken to the point that water came penetrate the seed coat and swell the embryo inside. For variety sake, I am adding a link to my method of germinating seeds.

http://hometown.aol.com/thombrogar/index.html
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get nearly 100% germination by first soaking the seed in hot tap water for a few hours...changing it as needed. This helps break down the waxy outer coating faster. Then they're planted out in trays of growing mix and placed either outside under cover, or in the greenhouse in order to get some cold/wet. I've had, on occasion, germination after 2 weeks, but only a few times.

Just another 'home made' technique to increase germination 'rates' not 'time frames'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I place the seed onto a paper towel, fold it, moisten it with distilled water, wrap it in aluminum foil, place this in a ziplock bag which goes in the crisper draw of the fridge for 4-5 weeks.

This method has given me good success with the amount (75-90%) and rate (3-6 wks) of germination for seed of most Sarr spp I've sowed.

Never tried the freeze/thaw approach.....
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12