What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet more questions on stratifying Sarr seeds

Has anyone heard of putting the seeds in paper towel or a thin layer of water and freezing/ thawing out occasionally for stratification? Someone(you likely know who you are and this is an invitation to discuss this method) mentioned them when sending some S. purpurea seeds with locality data over to me. Since things are starting to warm up here I've popped them in the fridge with peat and sand(will take a photo and see what you guys think).

JBL turns them into seedsickles. Aside from that, ya figure that in nature, with the ebb and flow of frontal sytems, they must expereince some amount of freezing and thawing.

Doing that wouldn't give you any advantage over just keeping them at 4C in the fridge for 5 weeks.

Maybe not Alexis, but I get very high germination with just 2-3 weeks in freezer. But I have not tried a controlled experiment. Maybe I'd get the same results in the fridge. Good experiment idea! Maybe Jimscott is game? Or is this not funky enough for him?
smile_m_32.gif

Definitely something I would try! I am doing a modified Bugweed approach. I have seed species in individual bags of water, in our attic. It isn't freezing, but it's cold. I'm about to open the bags and spread them across media, now that it has been 3 months.

People have been trying to speed up stratification with quick freezing for years. Seems a lot of messing about for no gain to me
smile_n_32.gif

SO! Modifying my Bugweed, eh? OK! Tell me how it works!
Allan Lowrie in Australia sez, you can put them in damp paper towels and put them in the freezer for 48 hours and that will do it. Says a 40% germination rate. Not me. I will stick to tried and true methods and keep going for 95% germination. Only 85% germination so far.

I too have used the freeze/thaw method but only on tardy seeds that did not want to come up even after 4-5 weeks mosit stratifacation. I did have limited sucess. Here is what I understand about Sarracenia seed and the need for a cold/ wet straticafation. (other wise known as vernalization) Sarr seeds are hydrophobic. Take some and put them in to a glass of water and you will see that they float. This is a natrual mechanisim of seed dispersal. The seeds drop in the fall, the winter rains come and float the seeds away from the parent plant, the waters receed and hopefully they have landed in an ideal situtation to germinate and grow. This waxy coating is removed by cold and wet or at least weaken to the point that water came penetrate the seed coat and swell the embryo inside. For variety sake, I am adding a link to my method of germinating seeds.

http://hometown.aol.com/thombrogar/index.html

I get nearly 100% germination by first soaking the seed in hot tap water for a few hours...changing it as needed. This helps break down the waxy outer coating faster. Then they're planted out in trays of growing mix and placed either outside under cover, or in the greenhouse in order to get some cold/wet. I've had, on occasion, germination after 2 weeks, but only a few times.

Just another 'home made' technique to increase germination 'rates' not 'time frames'.

I place the seed onto a paper towel, fold it, moisten it with distilled water, wrap it in aluminum foil, place this in a ziplock bag which goes in the crisper draw of the fridge for 4-5 weeks.

This method has given me good success with the amount (75-90%) and rate (3-6 wks) of germination for seed of most Sarr spp I've sowed.

Never tried the freeze/thaw approach.....

Back