Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expaniding my Sarr Collection

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably depends on how much you expand your collection. Back when I had only 3 VFTs I used to buy the distilled water from the store @ $.79/gal and it would last me a couple weeks. As my collection expanded, so did my water consumption. Eventually, I was going to the store to fill up 5 gallon jugs at the vending machine for $.25/gal. The cost was fine, but when you go through 5-7 gallons per day, the hassle gets to be a bit much. I have a small R/O now that provides me with all the water I need, and I dont have to drive anywhere to get it.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 06 2006,4:29)]I just made a rainwater collector! Here's how:

Make a 2'x3'x4' frame out of 1/2" PVC pipe. Cover it on 5 sides with clear plastic sheeting, preferably 4 or 6 mil. At this stage in the process you have what is known as a cold frame/mini greenhouse. I like to put plants inside, to keep the frost off them. Be prepared whenever it rains with several clean milk jugs. Leave the frame out on a rainy day, and you'll end up with either a few gallons of water, or a flat plant collection.

The one downside I see with my plan is that plastic sheeting can't handle a lot of frost or a lot of sun. Perhaps greenhouse vinyl would be a better investment.

Peter
    a better rain collector (IMO) would be to take that same PVC frame, put plastic on the top only, cut a round hole in the plastic slightly smaller than the opening of a large funnel.
    bolt the plastic funnel to the underside of plastic sheet with 4-6 brass bolts.
    (use brass so it wont rust..they cost mere cents on Home Depot)
    make the plastic sheet a little loose so the weight of the funnel pulls the plastic down at the center.
    stick a 5 gallon bucket under the funnel.
    (also cheap at H.D.)

you can easily get 5 gallons in an average rain storm! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    thats how I used to collect my rain water..except I attached a tarp to 4 corners of my balcony, rather than use a PVC frame. the tarp had metal grommits in each corner, I used "mini bungee cords" to attach the corners of the tarp to the balcony..brass hooks were screwed into the balcony walls.

the tarp could be set up in seconds when rain was imminent, and taken down when not needed..
    used it for 3 years!
    (i dont think I ever took a photo!! too bad..I should have.)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well im planing on building a fairly decent sized bog (in the yard) I also have a Terrium, And will be getting space for lighting and more tropical plants, utrics and things of the sort, i use about a gallon a day, but with the bog, and every thing ealse. Ill be needing water.

cheers and thanks for te sudgestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So My sarrs and Things got hear, today, i wasnt expecting the sarrs til next week but low and behold it came hear earlyer than expected!!

My Grow list is updated, i havent realized how many i have up until... now!

I never saw my self growing so many! But i am! ITS CRAZY! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] The only thing that has its leaves are the psittacina. but when i was transplanting i was amazed at how big the rhizones get! (it was just a cutting of one but DANG!! lol second year jitters are setting in.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] )

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what you need to calm your nerves, right? A fix of more plants! You'll be fine. Those rhizomes can be huge, and woody, right?! Enjoy your plants. Look for my Sarracenia collections in our upcoming NASC auction in May. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish! Then i would be stressing about water!

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12