What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Powder like subtance

I have two small cephs I recently purchased.  One has developed some white powder-looking substance on parts of a few leaves.  The white powder-like stuff is very fine so not a bug.  I suspect a fungus type thing.  

My question is- Is this normal or should I use some fungicide and wipe on the leaves to get rid of it....or....just leave it alone?

How wet are you keeping it? White powder sounds like you have a powdery mildew problem. It is not normally harmful to most plants, but I have lost cephs that have developed it in the past. You may need to keep it a little drier.

I grow my cephs inside a terrarium and never had any problems with white powder........... I moved an extra plant out of the terrarium and onto a windowsill a year ago. It got the white powder very quickly. I treated the plant with fungicide, might have been too strong, I lost the plant.
Hopefully you will have better luck.

I have them covered in plastic for humidity so will create some holes in the plastic so they get more air circulation (and less humidity).

I agree. Just scrape them off the treat with fungicide.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have them covered in plastic for humidity so will create some holes in the plastic so they get more air circulation (and less humidity).

Throw it away completely.

Those little domes cause tons of problems for CPs and little, if any, benefit.

Your cephalotus is impersonating Rick James, I suggest holding off on the Chappele show for a while...

My "dormant" Cephs have received a dusting of sulphur due to mildew - and they sit on a cool windowsill in the living room, where humidity rarely reaches 35%. Not a humidity issue from my point of view. Also, they're kept quite dry during this time of year.

Cheers
Amori

I find Trichoderma helps reduce powdery mildew

Back