What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Sarracenia seed

I am starting a few Sarracnia seed soon and I need to apply a fungicide. What brand is suitable? I cannot find any of the ones mentioned in The Savage Garden. I looked at some in a Wal-Mart garden center. It listed Captan as one ingredient but also said it contained petroleum distillates.

Is there a brand available at a Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. that I can use? Or do you need something from some specialty type place? What have you used?

Thanks.

I used the Cleary 3336 which I ordered from the guy who runs this website.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am starting a few Sarracnia seed soon and I need to apply a fungicide.

I don't use fungicide when stratifying/sowing sarr seed and they do fine. When needed, I use captan as a fungicide.

I have never bothered with fungicide unless I have a fungal problem, which is not usually the case with sarra seed. it seems a waste to use it unnecessarily.

You successfully germinate them without a fungicide? No damping off or anything?

They could damp off, but that would MOST LIKELY happen if the air circulation was extremely poor. However, Cleary's 3336 WP is the perfect fungicide for your CP, and CAN prevent damping off.

Fungicides should be wetable powders or flowable liquids(water based)

Interesting that neither Captan or Clearys3336 is listed as effective for pythium or phytophthora, both of which cause damping off. Fungicides applied to seeds are not there to prevent damping off, which occurs after the seed germinate. They are there to prevent other pathogens which just outright kill the seed before germination or very shortly after.

Your best bet against damping off, and other pathogens for that matter, is use clean containers and sterilized potting mix.

Tony

I grow my seeds indoors on a windowsill in November. Air circulation is just the average amount you'd get in a room. I've never had a single seedling damp off .

Me either, Alvin. More trouble with cold stratification and damping off than sown seed and damping off.

I microwaved the medium for several minutes and steralized the pots, trays, etc. with bleach and water. I used fresh RO water from my drinking spicket (which is extremely pure last I had it checked). So hopefully....

Last year I used medium straight from the bag and I had some trouble. I only have one plant left from that batch. I did not get the seeds until late in the season and then after stratification it was almost June by the time I sowed.

Back