What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph problem

I have two small Cephs. Both have brown leaves and pitchers, but still seem to be putting out new growth. How bad does this look to you experienced Ceph growers? I'm thinking lack of air circulation may be playing a part in this. What do ya think?

1846667Ceph3.jpg

They definitely need more air circulation as it appears that some kind of fungus is growing on the dead leaves,
dewy

I have a Ceph that looks like that and it's been doing just fine for months and months. I think as long as your Ceph is putting out new leaves/pitchers, then all is well. However, more air circulation is always a good thing.

Well, at least your leaves look nice and green
smile.gif
Most of my leaves are dying
smile_h_32.gif
Turing yellow
smile_h_32.gif

I think your ceph, has too many algaes around. How big and deep is your container?

Thats what happened to mine. And then ......  
smile_h_32.gif
you can guess what happened.

Try ordering sphagnum that will grow it will reduce youre algae down to almost nothing. Also, if algaes growing wouldnt that be to much water? just wondering i have no experience in ceph's

cheers

Or do what I did when my ceph started going down hill - put them in live LFS and get the winter leaves rooted, just in case plan A fails.

Algae is from too much minerals, like fertilizer or stuff in tap water. After a while, it'll go away, that is if you water down your plant's pot to wash away the minerals. But, otherwise, algae is harmless, and sometimes just pops up for no reason.

-Ben

That is not algae, algae is green, that's fungus.I'll be surprised if that plant lives very much longer. Usually once fungus gets a hold of Cephalotus it's curtains for the plant.
smile_h_32.gif

I would remove everything that is mouldy, give the plant a dose of fungicide and hope for the best, then as Jim suggests take a few cuttings from the healthy looking leaves in the hope that should the plant keel over you will at least have some leaf cuttings to replace it.

Back