What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cobra lily experiment

Just had a thought. I rember reading that they have found darlington in a area with heavy water in the wild, but they werent being affected cause the water was constantly moving the water past their roots so they didnt readly abosorb large amoutns of it. Could this play the same with a water fall?

Cheers

Here's a link to an old topic about Goldtrap's set up:

Goldtrap

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I rember reading that they have found darlington in a area with heavy water in the wild, but they werent being affected cause the water was constantly moving the water past their roots so they didnt readly abosorb large amoutns of it. Could this play the same with a water fall?

Do you mean "heavy water" as in water with heavy isotopes of H or O? I doubt it would have much effect; double-labeled water (a mix of heavy-O and heavy-H water) is used all the time in long-term field metabolism studies, and I've yet to hear anything about significant effects. I can't recall how each decays, but I'm pretty sure neither is anything super-nasty like a strong gamma-emitter.

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you mean "heavy water" as in water with heavy isotopes of H or O? I doubt it would have much effect; double-labeled water (a mix of heavy-O and heavy-H water) is used all the time in long-term field metabolism studies, and I've yet to hear anything about significant effects. I can't recall how each decays, but I'm pretty sure neither is anything super-nasty like a strong gamma-emitter.

They probably ment "hard water"- water having a high concentration of disolved particulates.

High ppm, so yes Hard water is what I ment.

Cheers

Back