Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cobra lily experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Look at a photo of one growing out of a stream of melting snow from a mountaintop, and the meaning of "fine" starts to change a bit.
    My plant has three flowers and grows pitchers 40cm sitting in still water in a hot greenhouse - seems fine to me
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 17 2006,9:07)]
    Quote[/b] ]Look at a photo of one growing out of a stream of melting snow from a mountaintop, and the meaning of "fine" starts to change a bit.
    My plant has three flowers and grows pitchers 40cm sitting in still water in a hot greenhouse - seems fine to me
    You and Pyro both have said that, basically, if the plant is healthy and acclimated, it can take the heat. Just so ya know, most Americans, particlarly if they're not on the immediate west coast, which has a similar enough maritime climate to that of the UK, are buying their cobra lily's from a DIY store called Lowes. Those plants are cooped up in plastic cubes that sit around, unexposed to the air, unfed, underlighted, and thus totally stressed out by the time someone buys one. Then they get repotted, which is a good and bad thing, depending, and then either put outside to be further stressed out by the significant change in conditions or set up with distilled water ice cubes or.... In short, you have a whole mess of people buying a stressed out plant to begin with and enough knowledge out there to be dangerous and confused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed Jim! I managed to keep a scraggly thing from Lowes alive after many tries. Now it is a very nice plant after a few years just growing in pure sphagnum in with the highland Nepenthes. It gets watered every morning and is not sitting in any water.

The thing is getting it to survive if you buy a cheap one from a diy store.. they may look ok in the store but they are in the process of dying and they don't come back to life easily. Not like the scraggly vft which will rebound in a month if there is just about any bit of green left on the plant.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I have adopted & adapted an approach that Tony suggested to me last year. Instead of a mini-terrarium "deathtrap", I have a repotted plant resting atop / suspended in part of the Lowes cube, very much like a Nep in a hanging basket. The plant is in a much larger pot, now, and outside, having just emerged from dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a thought. I rember reading that they have found darlington in a area with heavy water in the wild, but they werent being affected cause the water was constantly moving the water past their roots so they didnt readly abosorb large amoutns of it. Could this play the same with a water fall?

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to an old topic about Goldtrap's set up:

Goldtrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I rember reading that they have found darlington in a area with heavy water in the wild, but they werent being affected cause the water was constantly moving the water past their roots so they didnt readly abosorb large amoutns of it. Could this play the same with a water fall?
    Do you mean "heavy water" as in water with heavy isotopes of H or O? I doubt it would have much effect; double-labeled water (a mix of heavy-O and heavy-H water) is used all the time in long-term field metabolism studies, and I've yet to hear anything about significant effects. I can't recall how each decays, but I'm pretty sure neither is anything super-nasty like a strong gamma-emitter.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Do you mean "heavy water" as in water with heavy isotopes of H or O? I doubt it would have much effect; double-labeled water (a mix of heavy-O and heavy-H water) is used all the time in long-term field metabolism studies, and I've yet to hear anything about significant effects. I can't recall how each decays, but I'm pretty sure neither is anything super-nasty like a strong gamma-emitter.
    They probably ment "hard water"- water having a high concentration of disolved particulates.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast