Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cobra lily experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We know cobra lilies like two things:

- cool water on the roots
    - moving, aerated water on the roots (the most important I think)

So I had some cobras I was taking out of dormancy, and I had an old 2.5 gallon aquarium lying around with some grungy old filters, and figured I'd try something.

I used another filter's intake extenders on this filter in order to get its intake to touch the bottom of the aquarium. The water level is about halfway up the sphagnum.

For those who aren't familiar with aquarium filters, this filter sucks water from the bottom of the tank and pours that water down from the top (normally there would be some kind of foam for filtration but all it would do in this case is slow the water down).

If I felt like trying the ice cube method I could drop ice cubes into the filter and they'd melt on their own time, cooling the falling water as they did, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

An even faster filter would have been nice, but this is what I had that wasn't being used. We'll see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you keep it from getting clogged?

Cheers

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a little about experimenting with cobra lilys! Aside from my failures, which are well-documented and commented upon, it was Tony Paroubek who suggested something very simple and very successful. I bought one from Lowes last August, when the temps were still hitting the 80's. Since it was kicking around at the store for awhile, I felt it necessary to repot and acclimate. I put into a plastic pot and suspended it on the edge of one of the cube's halves. I then placed it at the lab's front desk, where the temps would be ~70. I watered it so that that it would drain through. When September came and the temps were close enough to that of the lab, I put it outside, for the next two months, where it naturally entered dormancy. For the past 3 months, it has been in our cold attic - resting. It is just now beginning to resume growth. Hey, it's very simple and very successful.

But I like your setup. I hope it works out well for ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepenthes_ak: There's a strainer at the end of the filter intake tube. So far it's done fine. The nice thing about using an aquarium filter rather than just a pump is that it's designed to let various crap run through it without a problem.

jimscott: My other cobra lily is growing beautifully in a self-watering pot. I'm just seeing if this will cause explosive growth rather than just great growth. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about doing that... only instead of a fishtank, using my outdoor fish pond's waterfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice anyway [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Boo!
    Got scared [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive heard of water falls often befor, but wouldnt you need to divert the water (so its not so strong to turn the soil up and away, and to have Relitivly pure water with no adatives) Often though of it might work just would take some planing, I like the SEt up though, havent had luck with D. californica yet so. more power to you guys who can!!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]We know cobra lilies like two things:

- cool water on the roots
    - moving, aerated water on the roots (the most important I think)
    Do they though? In my experience cobras are fine as long as the roots aren't cooked, which is pretty hard to do. Keep the water table reasonably high and they'll be happy in heat and sun.

I really don't know why people build contraptions for them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast