What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hair cut

My S.pupurea is starting to come out of dormancy, and I wonder if I should trim off last seasons pitchers, even though they arn't dead. Will making room for this years growth invigorate the plant?

Here's a pic:

Purpurea.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 18 2006,4:11)]Splitting it would be good

Cheers
Agreed, and then you send a piece to me and a piece to Nepenthes_ak and a piece...

Seriously though, I wouldn't cut them off--they look nice.  I don't know that it would stimulate new growth.  I would just trim off old pitchers as they get ratty looking.

I never cut live parts off a Sarr, other than flower stalks.

Thanks guys

HerenorThere: you cut of flowers, why?

a good trim would add room for this years pitchers and the old ones will die anywho, just try not to cut off any pitcher fetuses or anything, and that doesn't look like a purpurea to me, maybe a catesbaie?

EDIT: WHOOPS MAYBE I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED HERE

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 18 2006,7:58)]a good trim would add room for this years pitchers and the old ones will die anywho, just try not to cut off any pitcher fetuses or anything, and that doesn't look like a purpurea to me, maybe a catesbaie?

EDIT: WHOOPS MAYBE I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED HERE
I agree. It doesn't look like it's 100% purpurea to me either, the pitchers seem too slender. It probably has a tall species somewhere in it's ancestry.

i have a slender form like that, but now that you mention it it does have a point at the end of the ruffles. Mine is more smooth and doesnt have a line along th back so it might not be 100% purpurea as stated above, i didnt take mutch notion to the pictures details.

cheers

looks like a red form of S (purpurea x flava) x purpurea to me anyone else want to weigh in?

To me it has a resemblence of a S. purpurea x 'cobras nest'

but it could be the flava you stated.

cheers

It looks like there are 2 or more different plants in there. I see what looks like a pure S. purpurea by the top left of center of the pic and some other purp hybrid to the right of the purp. Then this what looks like S. X"catesbai" below those.

started a debate.

It's all one plant, the lighting makes it look like two perhaps. I got it from Safeway, labeled 'cobra lily' so I think its parentage will never be known.

I trimmed out some of the leaves with dead tops, and I'll leave the rest.

so far there are already 2 flowers coming up on this little guy, with what looks like 2 more
smile.gif

Back