What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some interesting animals you found

• Thread starter meriwether
  • Start date
I'm interested in what weird insects or animals you have unexpectedly found.
smile_t_32.gif

I know that there's a post somewhere on the Sarracenia board where someone posted finding a consumed lizard in an old pitcher. I usually just get flies, though.

Outside of Sarracenia, BobZ posted a great picture a while back in the VFT board about one of his flytraps having caught a treefrog. Here's a link for that one Tree Frog . Lizards have also happened upon VFTs and you can find all manner of things in Nepenthes pitchers.

a large slug, very messy and smelly as it decomposed, and killed the pitcher too

I had a live grey tree frog living in one of my N. ventricosa pitchers a while back (when I still had ventricosa.) I had a mantis living on my N. khasiana 2 years ago too.

all ive had is a bunch of wasps and a whole ant colony!!! (almost) It was an S. pupurea!

cheers

One time I had a young Sarracenia on the windowsill in my office. One day there was a line of ants coming out of the windowsill, along the glass, and into one of the pitchers which was against the glass. By the next day, the pitcher was nearly full of tiny ants and the line was gone.

Woodnative, your ant story is the kind I like to hear about.

The most surprising thing I have found in a one of my pitcher plants was an American anole. I think Est was refering to that post. Here is the link to that post:My Webpage

My daughters and I were impressed. They still talk about it.

Back