Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flooded purp seeds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updates.

We have been getting crazy amounts of rain so the seeds got flooded again. I noticed pretty much all the seeds sink now(or maybe all the floaters got washed out? I looked around but didn't see any). I'm guessing that means they are ready to germinate.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see sarracenia sprouting in someone's lawn. The seeds are hydrophobic for a while. Meaning they don't absorb water well at all. Stubborn! Jest plain stubborn! I think the rain may have washed them out. Better look around real hard and see what you find. Sar seed always lay on top of the soil, and usually germinate from there. A root sprouts at one end, and harpoons the ground beneath it. Then, the cotyledons (seed leaves) work there way out of the seed coat. An interesting spectacle when you have 100's of seed. Before long, small pitchers begin to appear, the seed leaves die back, and the pitchers go from there. An interesting show of development from baby to mature plant. Look hard. I don't want you to have lost your seed. If they were in a pot, they are'nt anymore (I think). Seed should be obvious. They don't sink!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their are some in their that have indeed sunk. I have jiggled the container a bit and you can see them amongst the peat at the top(they will be on or very close to the surface when this container dries). And a few floaters still in the container too. If any others floated out I'll have a careful search tomorrow.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good! Now one thing, make sure they stay on the surface of the peat and watch for sprouts. As in nature, If it rains hard enough, the seed can be "beaten" down into the soil. Try to be careful of algae growth on the soil surface as it can smother out the seed/seedling, and if a cottony looking growth starts on the surface of the soil, beware! You may have the base growing for a carpet of green moss that will also smother your babies!! Now you know what a mother goes through with their kidz!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL I hope I get everything right with these ones.

How far below the peat can they be and still sprout...they don't have to be directly on the top do they?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had peat just barely cover them, and they did sprout. Others, only an eighth of an inch of peat, smothered many. To me, the more on top of the soil they are, they more likely they will germinate. Watch for the cottony spreading of the moss spores. It sends out a carpet of moss that can smother and kill your babies!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be suggested then after it dries to dig for any seeds buried in the peat or perhaps scratch away the peat above them?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck no!! Just trying might make it worse. Let sleeping dogs lie, and let the seed do whatever it is going to
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12