What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed quickly

• Thread starter aprilh
  • Start date
I was given a bunch of sarr rhizomes today by a friend. The plants were mistreated by children, including being left outside and exposed to the elements, some of the plants were literally frozen in blocks of ice. I was able to save 12-15 rhizomes out of dozens of plants.

I was told they need to be potted immediately. Tonight. Okay. So, here are my questions: Is it okay to dust the rhizomes and roots with sulphur powder(fungicide)? Should I pot them up in a peat/sand mixture, or lfs? Thanking you in advance, Aprilh

Yesterday was my 1 year and 1 month anniversary of CP ownership.

You should be ok without fungicide but ti wouldn't hurt if you applied a little. If the rhizomes are healthy (fleshy and tough) then I suggest just potting them up. I use 80% NZ LFS and 20% sand with all my outdoor plants.

Cprus,

Thanks very much! And the rest of you geniuses...thanks for looking. Aprilh

April, They need a good feeding after a trauma like this. Get to the store and get some superthrive. After a shock like this, they will need a lot of help. A very VERY loose base, and frequent watering from the top. The watering through is to help draw oxygen through the pot. The roots will thank you for it. The superthrive fights shock and feeds the root. It is simply a rooting hormone with some other nutrients that help a lot.

Thanks, Bug.  I'll repot them in LFS.  Unfortunately, Superthrive is not available in stores around here. I did dust the rhizomes with sulphur, and I watered them with a weak H202 solution.

The biggest bummer about all this is that some were rare location plants that had been donated to a school. There are no longer any tags on these, so who knows what I got, or where they're from.

How did I forget a thing like superthrive!! Thanks Bugweed. I never transplant without it.

I jusy may send her some.

Try walmart! I was just there and they had bottles in with the miracle grow etc.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll check out the Wally World!

Back