User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarracenia seed to flower in 28 months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 27 month old hybrid Sarracenia sending up flower buds. Is this unusual or common with hybrids??
    These plants are from open-pollinated seed from my own plants, but I don't know their exact parentage. Seed were collected late in 2003, stratified, and allowed to germinate January 2004. At eight months old I have a picture of the one plant with 8" high pitchers. They were kept under lights the next winter, and finally placed outside last Spring (2005). I put them out too early and they "burned" from sun and/or cold, but recovered over summer, and were allowed to go dormant last fall. I now notice flower buds coming on 2 of the 3 I saved from this batch. Neat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Woodnative @ April 13 2006,8:19)]I have two 27 month old hybrid Sarracenia sending up flower buds. Is this unusual or common with hybrids??
    These plants are from open-pollinated seed from my own plants, but I don't know their exact parentage. Seed were collected late in 2003, stratified, and allowed to germinate January 2004. At eight months old I have a picture of the one plant with 8" high pitchers. They were kept under lights the next winter, and finally placed outside last Spring (2005). I put them out too early and they "burned" from sun and/or cold, but recovered over summer, and were allowed to go dormant last fall. I now notice flower buds coming on 2 of the 3 I saved from this batch. Neat!!
    Very Very, unusual. Sounds like you have some very special plant. My one year old Sarr seedlings are only about 1 inch in diameter. I would love to see some pics.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately try crossing them to eachother and seeing if this extremely fast growth will carry to the offspring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will get some pictures once they flower and when the first traps of the year come up. I wonder if it is just hybrid vigor. The plant is nice, looks like a leuco/rubra cross. I have a couple of these, so this in fact may be one or both parentage. I have some S. leuco grown from seed at the same time which have pitchers maye 7 or 8" tall now but are skinny and probably at least two more years to flowering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is the leuco in the cross that does it. I have a leuco x popei hybrid that its just starting its third year sending up a flower bud. Hopefully it is a sign of a monster sized plant in the making.