What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's gone limp

I had a small Sarracenia underneath two tubes in my room, and a pitcher started emerging, but I recently moved it outside onto my deck. I went out today and top half of the new pitcher is all limp and floppy. The pot's currently sitting in a big tray of water, so that isn't an issue. Could it be the transition of temperature/light that did it?

Im guessing thats what it was.

cheers

I was just worried that soil compaction or something would be preventing the roots from getting water, but I don't think that is an issue, considering as how the sarrs were potted in it less than a month ago.

It's probably not used to the strong light. If the sun's been on it, it might have scorched the leaf. The next leaf should be fine hopefully.

I thought that might be it too, but the leaf doesn't look scorched. It's green, and not red or blotchy. I think maybe the higher temperatures did it.

I have had new tender Sarracenia pitchers wilt when the evaporative stress is too great and the cells lose turgor. This often happens when the pitchers grew during cool cloudy or overcast days that were followed by a clear bright warm day. Then, during the night when the evaporative stress was removed, the wilted pitcher regained turgor. If the wilted pitcher bent or was otherwise physically damaged, it often remained deformed as it matured. However, if it was supported and was not damaged, the recovered pitcher continued to mature without noticeable effect.

The sun's setting, clouds have filled the sky, and it has started raining.  It's a bit cooler outside, and I went out and the pitcher is standing back up again, and is firm. No signs of permanent damage as BobZ mentioned.

Back