What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching for indoor to outdoor

I just transferred my pitcher plants and other CP's outside as the weather is changing and my plants are starting to show signs of growth. My pitcher plant is starting the grow young stalks and I am concernd that the winds will blow the stalks off. Should I be concerned?

Also, and tips on care would be appreciated.

I seem to remember JBL giving me a few pitcher plants, two years ago, and I inherited a small, plastic trellis type thing that kept the S. flava more stable. I also had my plants up against the side of the house and that helps to keep things a little less windy.

How about excess rain? We're in the middle of a thunderstorm right now. Just don't want my CP's to drown

Can you move them under a bush or tree?

I can bring them inside...is excess rain a problem?

hmmm.... i never noticed the storm yet, but then again im in the basement. anyway, dont worry about them, they will be fine. heck, mine were outside durring that hail storm we got a couple weeks ago, only thing it did was beat up the venus flytrap. What city you located at? im over in washington. Also for some reason my plants started growing about mid march, had them outside since the first of april

I'm in Detroit Metro.....The sunny weather has been nice (60-75) But we've been having some occasional rain at night. I brought them inside just in case.

The extra rain would only be a problem if you are in an area that has bad air pollution and/or you're trying to sprout seeds. If the air is clean and you have established plants, then consider it free water and the time you would have spent watering can now be spent admiring your plants
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]consider it free water and the time you would have spent watering can now be spent admiring your plants
cool.gif

That sums it up quite nicely. I've never had a problem with rain. Sometimes I end up with a spot of dirt in some VFTs, but that's the worst of it. Even my D. scorpioides handle all the rain just peachy. My only problem is wind; I'm growing up on the 2nd story, and I don't want any pots getting blown off!

Don't worry, you'll grow out of babying them. Just get so many that you can't any more!
biggrin.gif

Thats it! Just put them out and forget about them. Well maybe not totaly. You still want to look at them and make sure they are not dry, but don't worry about them. Sure from time to time things may happen, but things can happin if they are in the house. I had something come trough and cut off my first ever flower on one of my Sarrs, but its a thing that happens. It will flower again next year. Everything is growing and looking good since transfered to the mini bog. The dews have something to be desired, but they may come back from getting rain beated, but they were also little seedlings protected in the GH till they were transplanted in the bog. All the Sarrs are doing wonderful and starting ti fill out even though we have had thunderstorms lately too.

Thanks eveyone...

I have a Drosera Adelae and a Butterwort that I am trying to regrow and my VFT & Sarracenia are sprouting up nicely.

I am wondering if I should keep the 1st two inside to protect the growth and the the latter two outside since they are already thriving.....

Any thoughts?

I would keep the D. adelae inside. and if its P. primuflora then put it outside, they love it there

The only one that I'd keep inside is the D. adelae. Also, if you're moving them outside from low light conditions insider, you'll want to make sure that you aren't giving them too much all at once, as you could burn them. I've never had a problem with Sarras, VFTs burning, though.

Just to add more confusion, D. adelae and P. primuliflora do just fine on a window sill, inside, and flower for me. I wouldn't trust D. adelae outside, between the light and aphids.

Thats true, heck mine flower like crazy every year starting from late feb. until may. But im really not looking forward to bringing all my plants inside on the 26th, stupid Michigan weather.
smile_h_32.gif

I agree on the Michigan weather..I came moved from Los Angeles where it was sunny 65-75 everyday.

Thanks to all for teh advice...I will keep you informed on my progress.

Back