Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hybrids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this is going to make me look stupid ,but what is a hybrid pitcher plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are eight species of sarracenia. If you take the pollen from one species and pollinate a flower from another species, the offspring will have characteristics from both parents. E.g. a red flava crossed with a white leucophylla may be red with white areas.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 30 2006,12:26)]There are eight species of sarracenia. If you take the pollen from one species and pollinate a flower from another species, the offspring will have characteristics from both parents. E.g. a red flava crossed with a white leucophylla may be red with white areas.
    ok that was what i was thinking but can u take pollen from some totaly different noncarnivorous plant and pollinate a pitcher plant with it or vice versa?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]ok that was what i was thinking but can u take pollen from some totaly different noncarnivorous plant and pollinate a pitcher plant with it or vice versa?
    You can try, but the overwhelmingly vast majority of the time, it wont work. Even with plants that ARE carnivorous and not Sarracenia almost definitly wont take. Hybrids between genera are not very common.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So could you take pollen out of a Cobra Lily and polinate a Flava? Or could you take pollen from a Ceph and polinate something like an Alata or heliamphora?

How about polinating an adelae with a burmanni? I wonder how many people have tried this stuff.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the plant has to be within the same species.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the plant will have to be farely closely related because the chromosome count will have to match up to restore the diploid count on the chromosomes. Remember Pollin and eggs have only half the chromosomes. Now with some things there can be a cross between species. Look at intergeneric crosses with Orchids, but not all orchid species can be crossed with each other. Your not going to mixx a Paph with a Catt for instance. There is just to much difference there. In fact I think Paphs can only be crossed with Paphs, but you can cross a Catt with a lalia, and many others. Just have to experiment since we haven't done chromosome counts and things to know for sure. Who knows you may get lucky and cross something anc create a new hybed that evry would die for. Thats how many things get created. Just don;t get disapointed if things do not work between a cross of unrelated species, because more than likely its not going to work. Have fun!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you can only cross CPs in the same genus...then why cant you make a hybrid like N Rajah x Aristo or Hamata x Rajah?? they are in the same genus right? BTW im surprised there are only 8 species of sarrs! i never realy realized that because of all of the varieties cultivars and subspecies! lets see if i can name them...Flava, Alata, Piscinatta, Rubra, Purpura, Leucophylla, Oreophylla(spelling?), and Minor? wow its hard to think ALL of the hybrids come from just 6 species and compare that to the Nepenthes Hybrids and i think 82 species!
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast