What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caterpillar damage

Hello,

I checked some of my still-dormant Sarracenia bulbs this morning and finally found a reason why my S. Leucophylla X "Willissii" wasn't sprouting yet.  A caterpillar had lodged itself hidden against one of the shoots and enjoying quite a feast.  I took the caterpillar and angrily threw it into my turtle tank  
smile_n_32.gif
 but the damage was done.  

The plant looks like this (attached) right now, some of the shoots are brown and I don't notice any other growth points.  I soaked it in Superthrive and planted it back into fresh media, along with a humdity dome.  Does anyone think it can be saved or is it a lost cause?   Shoud I keep it drier or wetter? Thanks!

Sorry if the image came out small...it was the max allowed.

Johnny

Cut off all the dead bits and repot. Keep it as normal (no drier or wetter than usual) and be patient. It'll be fine and resume growth shortly.

Bummer, I had the same thing happen to me nearing the tail end of last season. There were little inch worm-looking critters a few different times- and all on one single plant- no others!!

Like Alexis said, your plant should be fine, though.

PS Unless your huditiy is very low, I'd lose the dome!

^hey thanks for the advice

Yea I put the humidity dome on in case that'll help speed up recovery. Drawback is it might stimulate fungus faster as well...

Do sarrs live in their roots or in the bulb? Because the roots look fine, but the bulb doesn't seem to have any new growth points.
Thanks

Johnny

The plant 'lives' in the rhizome
smile_n_32.gif

It will develop new growth points in time, but it may take 4 or 5 weeks.

ugh....there's whitish cotton-looking mold around the rhizome. I tried rubbing it off and watered with tannic tea, hoping it might halt its spreading. I'm going to leave it outside where the temperatures are warmer and see whether it will bounce back. Perhaps more direct sun? Roots still look fine, rest not looking so well.

Back