What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hello, new here

Hello, I'm new here and I've been into carnivorous plants since I first saw the. I have been growing sundews and VFT's for a couple years. I recently recieved a S. rubra from a friend of mine. The traps are growing but they seem to have creases and look curved like there is aphid damage. I have looked for aphids and can't find any. Does anyone know why the pitchers would grow like that?

Hi and welcome to TerraForums. Not an expert on Sarracenias, but there are those who are. Do you have a magnifying glass? If you have aphids, you can drown them, as a start, and if that's not enough, there are systematic pesticide products that contain Orthene that you can use. I have 100% success with just drowning them.

Welcome to the forums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 02 2006,8:52)]I have 100% success with just drowning them.
Just do not use the stream method. LOL
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry I could not resist!

S. rubra has spring pitchers that curve and have creases in them, all spring. Don't sweat it. Summer pitchers a usually straighter, and bigger. Relax and grow your babies!

I'll second Bugweed. Every spring all my rubras are a little floppy and weird creases in the lip. They look like they've had a little too much to drink (lushes).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ May 02 2006,9:10)]Welcome to the forums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 02 2006,8:52)]I have 100% success with just drowning them.
smile_n_32.gif

Between you and Dewy....
smile.gif

Thank you for the help. I guess there isn't anything to worry about just yet then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 03 2006,4:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ May 02 2006,9:10)]Welcome to the forums.

[b said:
smile_n_32.gif

Between you and Dewy....  
smile.gif
And make sure the bucket doesn't float away
smile_n_32.gif

you should see what happens when you write a post asking about floppy pitchers.....

Back