Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hose water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going through 3 of those a week, and couldn't have maintained the collection without my garbage cans of rainwater. Remember to keep the lids on so they don't get scummy, and periodically dump the gunk out of the bottom and scrub them out with an old mop when you know a biggie rain is coming.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ May 10 2006,7:12)]I use multiple garbage cans linked together to collect rain. I have one can under the downspout and then it is connected through tubing to another can and so on.
    How the heck do you "link" the garbage cans together through tubing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet the answer has to do with plumbing and PVC pipe......
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capturing water from a roof is a great idea for people in wetter climates who need a lot of water. Even if you don't collect the first water from a storm, 1" of rain on 500 sq ft of roof can yield 250 gallons of water. Since my dehumidifier yields 10 or more gallons per week and that's all I need in the summer, so I've never bothered with anything beyond that.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three 55 gallon rain barrels and two 33 gallon barrels. All were FREE from a carwash. They need a real good rinsing out, as they were used to store soap/carwax/simoniz products.

I built a wooden stand from 2x4s to raise the barrel that catches the most water. It's 3 feet off the ground and with the help of gravity, I use 1/2 inch aquarium tubing to siphon water out of it and into gallon containers or the other barrels. Some people put faucet spigots into the bottoms of the barrels, but I didn't want to risk any leaks. You can also get something called a "downspout diverter". There are 'smart' ones that don't let the initial flush of rainwater from the roof go into the barrel, then let the barrel fill, then switch off once the barrel is filled.

Here's an informative website:
    Rainbarrel Info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ May 10 2006,8:22)]
    Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ May 10 2006,7:12)]I use multiple garbage cans linked together to collect rain. I have one can under the downspout and then it is connected through tubing to another can and so on.
    How the heck do you "link" the garbage cans together through tubing?
    To link them just buy a length of 3/4" tubing ( I use the clear flexable sort) and drill a hole in the side of two garbage cans with a 5/8" bit. Then just jam the tubing in to connect the two. Beings the tubing is wider then the hole it makes a water tight seal. Then as the garbage can that is under the downspout fills up it starts to fill the next and so on.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12