Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have three rather large Sarracenia in gallon-sized pots outside on my deck. I tried watering them with gallon jugs of distilled water, but that went very fast, and it was a pain to drive out and get more all of the time.

Recently I've gotten lazy and started using hose water. I live near Pittsburgh, and it seems like our water is pretty crappy, but I hear Sarrs are more tolerant of hard water, and the pots aren't in trays, so after I top-water them, all of the excess water drains.

Can they handle this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a well or is it a public water supply? If public, you can get a copy of their quality data and one of the criteria is total dissolved solids. The lower that number the better. But you should figure out a way to get a better water supply. My supply during the Sarracenia growing season is from the basement dehumidifier. Water dripping from airconditioners and rain water are also good sources. At one time, I even put my wheelbarrow out in the open before any rain and used the water it collected.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i'd call the water dept. and get their total dissolved solids avg. for the drinking water. i think i read somewhere that less than 100 ppm is ok for Sarracenia. Where I live, it averages about 120, but I have used it from time to time with no negative effects that I can tell...yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That dehumidifier water thing sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try when summer heats up. Is there anywhere where I could get a free water report online? Or should I just call my water provider and ask?

EDIT: You posted before I did, Sarracenia. I'll just call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build a rain barrel... I was going to try that soon.

I'm probably going to let mine collect the rain directly though... not from runoff (I have no idea how washing down the roof affects the TDS). It'll fill a lot slower but I don't need much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ May 10 2006,11:09)]Build a rain barrel... I have no idea how washing down the roof affects the TDS
    Usually runoff from the roof is just fine if you discard the initial several minutes. Once the water becomes clear, most of the contaminants have been washed from the roof and subsequent runoff is OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am using hose water this summer. Another drought is on us here and I am out of water. I will use the hose water until the rains hit, then will let the rain pour through the pots, empty and clean the pools and start fresh with good rain water. I grew S. purpurea for 3 seasons using nothing but hose water although the containers did leach out with the rains, so I should be ok. Your water board can answer the question with a phone call as to what PPM your water reads out as. Good luck!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use multiple garbage cans linked together to collect rain. I have one can under the downspout and then it is connected through tubing to another can and so on. I have 5 hooked together, it is amazing the amount of rain that can be collected with one good rain. I was just completly dry and we have been getting rain all day, all 5 are completly filled and they are over flowing. You can by 35 gallon garbage cans for 10 dollars.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast