What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph Splitting

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
cephsplit1.jpg

Before

cephsplit2.jpg

After

cephsplit3.jpg

This is my first time doing something this radical to my ceph.
There is not much of a root system on many CP's and the ceph is no exception. Many divisions did not have any roots, just a rhizome. I have had sarr and VFT rhizomes which did not have any roots, take root. I hope cephs are the same way.

Cool, those're some nice looking plantlets. I hope they all fill out well for ya. Keep us posted and let us know!

yes, please keep us up to date

Beautiful plants!
smile_n_32.gif

and there ladys and gentlemen is why i want this lovely little pitcher type plant

You are so brave!!! Steve, sometimes I wonder why only you can grow N. hamata and cephalotus so excellently...your conditions must be ideal for both of them!

I see lots of perlite. What's your mix for your cephs?

That's amazing how many individual plants came from the clump! So where are you going to grow them all?

Thanks for the comments.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ May 13 2006,1:57)]You are so brave!!! Steve, sometimes I wonder why only you can grow N. hamata and cephalotus so excellently...your conditions must be ideal for both of them!

I see lots of perlite. What's your mix for your cephs?
Cindy,
I know I've read where cephs can be very picky about root disturbance. I figure at least one of the plants will end up living out of all of them if it was a bad thing to do.
I guess I'm very lucky with my plants.
My latest attempt I'm trying nep wise is a N. rajah right beside the N. hamata.
My soil mix for most all my CP's is equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ May 13 2006,4:34)]That's amazing how many individual plants came from the clump! So where are you going to grow them all?
LLeopardGGecko,
I kept 4 or 5 growing points on my plant. Then as you can see in the picture I have 8 more individual plants.
I do not have room for them all. I may keep 1 or 2 to do some experimenting on. Such as growing outside in full sun, letting one go into dormancy, and see how they react to it. The others will find new homes.

My God! You're braver than I ever could be!

I'm sure your ceph divisions will survive--you grow your plants very well.

lol are you using jiffy pots?
smile_n_32.gif
. they look great regaurdless! what conditions is it in?
alex

Neat! How many inches is that pot?

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ May 14 2006,6:31)]lol are you using jiffy pots?
smile_n_32.gif
. they look great regaurdless! what conditions is it in?
alex
They sure are jiffy pots.
I decided to try these pots out. Once the plant gets established, think how easy it will be to repot into a nice pot. Just drop the whole jiffy pot / plant into the new pot without disturbing the plant at all. No repotting stress.
I set up a small terrarium to place the division into.

Drosera36,
The pot my plant is growing in is only a 4" pot.

I've never heard of these "Jiffy Pots". Can plant roots just poke right through them into the soil?

Yeah, they're made of peat. People often use them for germinating seeds.

-Ben

Hi Steve,
I suspect if you keep them in moderate humidity and out of strong sun, you'll be fine w/ your divisions. Since you drastically altered the root support system for each piece, you will probably see a number of the pitchers/leaves wilt away (before new smaller ones show up). To help this 'equalization' process, you might want to reduce/trim some of the top growth to reduce the stress on the plant...

Good luck with all of your babies ...

<<--- Raises hand to become a foster parent to a plant if needed!!!

Nice plant BTW Steve.  Good luck with the experimenting!

Ron,
When I take cuttings of my neps, I cut any leaf in half that is on the stem to reduce the amount of water evaporation out of the leaf. I was wondering if I should do the same with the ceph.
Since many pitchers where drying from the lack of being able to pull water from the soil, I trimmed most of them off.
I will see how this works.
I'm still asking myself if it was the right thing to have done. Wish I would have had room to place the plant into a larger pot.

Hi Steve, how are the babies doing for you now? Mostly fostered out?

All but one found new homes.
This is the one I kept.

cephtyp.jpg

Thanks!

Back