Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!!!!!! Bruce?? Where'd you get the sense of humor?? LOLOLOL!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!! I'll Do THat! But really how do I keep humidity?
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about humidity; as long as you keep the trays filled with water you shouldn't have any problems. As far as light goes, they can take full sun but you can avoid burnt tips by putting them in partial shade.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOT TRUE!!!!! Yes, two years ago I even believed that. But, Jim Miller, a famous CP'er in our CP history once lived in Sacramento, Ca. Sacramento is well known for its outrageous summer heat, and 1% to 10% humidity, and dessicating hot winds. His S. flava var. atropurpurea always got its hood cooked by the late summer sun. One day, on a whim, he went out and bought a cold water ionizer and set it out with his plants in the spring. As the temps soared, he filled the ionizer and turned it on. He filled it all the time it was really hot outside. To his own amazement, the humidity afforded by the ionizer helped the s. flava var. atropurpurea stop hood burn. Yet more amazing, Jim said he never ever saw that atro look that good EVER! The colors were the most vivid he had ever seen, and recommends the use of an ionizer for those in dryer climes. Try it! It works!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..... I took up your guys information and put my Sarracenia outside, on a shady table to slowly introduce it to the light. Also I have it sitting in plenty of water but for some reason its not standing up straight like before, Its kinda bending overbut not completely bent over. Is this normal??
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i worry about when it comes to putting them out in full sun is the high temps cooking the roots. Is that an issue as well? Also, is there a difference between placing them in deep vs. shallow water trays? I don't mean the water depth....but rather how tall the walls of the water tray go. Perhaps it is a factor when it comes to evaporative cooling if the tray is shallow vs trapping heat within a deeper bin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use rubbermaid dishpans, undrained, for all my plants. S. oreophilas are up front to catch ALL the sun all day. Humidity is 15% right now. They are ACCLIMATED to being outside. Give yours time. LOTS of water, and see about a humidifier/ cold water ionizer for it to help it out. Heat is NOT a factor for the roots unless the pot is too small. Give them lots of room to expand and grow. Soil temps in some bogs have been recorded at 96 to 101 degrees on the hottest days, and the roots in mine are sometimes pretty warm. For s. flava var. atropurpurea, this helps with some of them to produce their rich deep reds. Others are easier to color up, and the soil temps do not make a difference. The plants live in very warm areas, and here in my area the temps hit 108 or 110 regularly. I water them to the top every morning, and let natural evaporation drop the level throughout the day. Otherwise, I leave them alone to grow and prosper on their own. The circulating water bog I made seems to be the best way to keep them, and I just might make a dozen more. Sphagnum grows like crazy in this bog. Seems to work.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bug you still haven't drawn up those plans for the circulating bog yet! I will get them scanned and posted as soon as you draw them!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast