Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB, if I can get the pieces and parts, I am going to build a couple
    more with a photo shoot for a how to do it. I think that would be better, though I may still give you the plans when life gives me some time to breathe. Never have been so busy!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo hoo I agree a photo shoot would be 100% better!! I can visualize your design in my head, but the only part I am concerned about is the water coming out of the pump to the top part. Doesn't the water motion disturb the peat? Or is it going into another location so it doesn't disturb the peat. I will wait for the pictures! But thats the questions I have and that is what is keeping me from building one for myself.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see a problem with growing sarracenia's out in Riderside.

I also live in Southern California. Since it does get hotter when you live you might want to get shade cloth over them, so you dont have to water as much. Get deep water trays too that should help.
    http://www.geocities.com/southerntropicals

As the sun shine's through the clouds above the table top mountains,nothing more can be seen then a beautiful landscape of glowing Heliamphora's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, you need a 30 gph or 60 gph pump. The 30 gph will not disturb the peat too much. Weed block is put down first so all stays in place and it offers little resistance to the water. Though it does cause the water to not only bubble up, but following the path of least resistance, fills the container they are in with constantly moving water. Moving water will draw oxygen into the soil and keeps it fresh, and because of well placed holes drilled in strategic places, the water exits, falls back into the base, and keeps adding more oxygen with every drip. My soil base is 17 years old, and still supports the plants in it with absolutely NO LOSS due to rhizome rot. Every year, 1 cup of white vinegar into the water base, keeps the soil and water acidic. BTW, where the water comes up, I cover that with dead (boiled dead) LFS about an inch or two thick. I cover the rest with Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. You have seen the pics of my working mini bog, and as you know, it works like a champ. It isn't that difficult to make. But finding the right parts is a pain sometimes. Visit any nurseries that specialize in Water Gardening, and get some ideas for fittings and flanges to hold the water feed tube in place to do its job, filter basket under your pump, and tent a piece of weedblock around the filter basket, and using plastic ties, close the weed block around the filter basket and pump, to completely enclose the unit. This prevents any breakdown of peat, or sand to block your pump from working. Maintainance has been low, but the old dish I use for the top of my bog is falling apart, and I will HAVE to replace it soon. Maybe, that would be my photo oppurtunity to show how to do it. When you build one, I want to know how well it is working, and how happy you are you made one. WORTH IT!!!! DEFINITELY!!!!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of us who don't have pumps installed to get the water circulating, how often would you guys recommend removing the water from the tray and adding in fresh water? That stuff gets pretty stagnant quickly considering all the minerals flowing into it from the media + dead bugs, rotten leaves, etc.

Thanks.

Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cleaned mine out (when I used the tray method) weekly. Kept mosquitos away, algae down, and chances of fungus' and molds were then lessened. You might be suprised how (to me anyway) fresh a bog can smell. No stagnant water when its moving and being constantly replenished. Actually, a very healthy environment for life of all kinds.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very true. Whenever I've visited a bog, it had a nice sweet smell of pine needles and sphagnum and the waters were always a dark tea color, but clear. I've always thought it was too acidic to support much fish or amphibians however--if anything, it looked extremely sterile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay i Have a pot sitting in a water tray and now i have it in full sun, should cut a hole in a cloth slip it over my plant so that it just covers the sitting water? That would keep leaves and mosquitos from getting into the water and would keep most of the water from evaporating.
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast