Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are all tissue-culture size! Wildbill, what's your growing conditions? I know one thing for sure, they need cooler temperatures. Cooler is anything less than 80s for me.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have been grown in a humid terrarium under shoplites that are on about 18 hours a day. Last year, I put the ones in the 9 inch pots outside once it got warm enough. They were located in bright shade - maybe a few speckles of sunshine. In the fall, they went back into the terrarium.

Cindy - see if you can find "BetaBioGold" fish food which may just barely fit into you plant's traps. I got mine at Walmart for a little over 3 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (WildBill @ May 22 2006,10:35)]Cindy - see if you can find "BetaBioGold" fish food which may just barely fit into you plant's traps. I got mine at Walmart for a little over 3 bucks.
    Your cephs are beautiful and look extremely healthy WildBill! Thank you for the tip about BetaBioGold. I'm also going to look for it at Walmart (or elsewhere).

I mentioned some weeks ago that I was going to try bits of dry cat food in a few of my ceph traps to see if they liked it. The results? They don't. I think that the cat food has too much oil, among other things. Several of the cat-food-fed ceph traps have shriveled and dried, and I have cut them from the plant.

Fortunately, my cephs are in an active growing phase and putting out lots (several) new traps. The traps that I fed live insects to (bugs that got caught in my rainwater-collection barrels) are doing well, but it would be very convenient to find an alternative food supply, so the Beta fish food sounds like a good idea. How did you think of that? I don't believe I would have thought about giving fish food to CP, but it makes sense, since the fish food is a substitute for the fishes' insect food.

Terraforums is filled with great information from good growers!
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 17 2006,4:03)]The soil mix is mounded in a big hump well above the rim of the plant.
    Could you post a picture of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WildBill,
    What kind of camera did you take the pictues of your Ceph's with?

You have gorgeous plants and the photos are awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my my my my my.......

Just wait until Jeremiah posts the pictures of Jeff Matteson's Ceph terrarium at the ICPS Conference. I WISH everyone could have seen it in person.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill: I went looking for your post about doing dormancy outside and the pictures are no longer being hosted. Do you have something we could use? I'd love to see it as a pinned topic and often refer to it when anwering dormancy questions.

Scarlett: Welcome to TF! I wish I had a pic to illustrate what Plantakiss is talking about, but imagine this plant:

...in a deeper, wider, and raised version of this:

It's like having a the top half of a ball placed over the and above the the top of the pot.... only it's soil media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jimscott! Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the photos. I'm one that has to see it to be able to visualize it.

I've ordered a Ceph and am scared - they are so beautiful I had to have one!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast