What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seed Step by step planting instructions??

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone. I have had the pleasure of recieving 2 packets of seeds from here and I bought one from a seed seller. Now I placed the seeds on a wet paper towel and put them in the frindge for a few weeks, and then planted, and I have yet to be successful in germinating anything. I think I am doing it right as I put the seeds right on top of the soil and set the pot in a tray of water with the dews and things. Yet still no luck. Can someone give me a detailed instruction set to successfully start sars from seed? Thanks

You'll get a variety of approaches, obviously, but there will be a thread of continuity when you sift through the responses.

Anyways, I was given 4 packs of Sarr. seeds in December, I placed each species in those small crafts bags with distilled water and them placed the bags in a bucket of cold water, in my attic, where they stayed cold for the winter. In March I took them out and poured into plastic pipette containers, filled with peat & sand and covered them, keeping them at the window sill. A few weeks later they began to germinate.

Now 3 months, I have recently learned was overkill. nonetheless, I had an incredibly good germination rate. Many people use a fridge and many use moist paper towels. Some use fungicides. My approach was very simple and yet successful. Patience is another ingredient. It can take a few weeks.

It sounds like you've done everything right. It may take 4 weeks for germination.

Well, My seends have been splanted for a long time. Some even spent last winter outside and still haven't germinated. Thats, ok Try try again.

I don't have the link but if you look around on the web Brooks Garcia has a homepage that describes his methods. He's got a million and a half Sarrs. so he's gotta be doing something right !
smile_m_32.gif

I take a 3" pot filled with moist peat/perlite/whatever, sow the seeds on the surface, and top that with just enough soil to cover the seeds. Then drop it in a ziplock bag with a few tablespoons of distilled water. Make sure to label either the pot or the bag. The pots stay in the refrigerator for exactly 4 weeks, then I put in trays under lights. Germination time is usually 2-3 weeks.

Peter

Sarracenia seed can be strange. I have left some for as long as 3 years before one seed sprouted. Not the usual, but I can be VERY patient.

ok I will try the method outlined here, and find the website to try it that way. Hopefully my Minor and Soon to be flowering leuco will take to seed, and that will give me more seed to play with. Thanks again for the tips everyone!

Back