User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarr seed Step by step planting instructions??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I have had the pleasure of recieving 2 packets of seeds from here and I bought one from a seed seller. Now I placed the seeds on a wet paper towel and put them in the frindge for a few weeks, and then planted, and I have yet to be successful in germinating anything. I think I am doing it right as I put the seeds right on top of the soil and set the pot in a tray of water with the dews and things. Yet still no luck. Can someone give me a detailed instruction set to successfully start sars from seed? Thanks
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get a variety of approaches, obviously, but there will be a thread of continuity when you sift through the responses.

Anyways, I was given 4 packs of Sarr. seeds in December, I placed each species in those small crafts bags with distilled water and them placed the bags in a bucket of cold water, in my attic, where they stayed cold for the winter. In March I took them out and poured into plastic pipette containers, filled with peat & sand and covered them, keeping them at the window sill. A few weeks later they began to germinate.

Now 3 months, I have recently learned was overkill. nonetheless, I had an incredibly good germination rate. Many people use a fridge and many use moist paper towels. Some use fungicides. My approach was very simple and yet successful. Patience is another ingredient. It can take a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you've done everything right. It may take 4 weeks for germination.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, My seends have been splanted for a long time. Some even spent last winter outside and still haven't germinated. Thats, ok Try try again.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the link but if you look around on the web Brooks Garcia has a homepage that describes his methods. He's got a million and a half Sarrs. so he's gotta be doing something right !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a 3" pot filled with moist peat/perlite/whatever, sow the seeds on the surface, and top that with just enough soil to cover the seeds. Then drop it in a ziplock bag with a few tablespoons of distilled water. Make sure to label either the pot or the bag. The pots stay in the refrigerator for exactly 4 weeks, then I put in trays under lights. Germination time is usually 2-3 weeks.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia seed can be strange. I have left some for as long as 3 years before one seed sprouted. Not the usual, but I can be VERY patient.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok I will try the method outlined here, and find the website to try it that way. Hopefully my Minor and Soon to be flowering leuco will take to seed, and that will give me more seed to play with. Thanks again for the tips everyone!
    JB