What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insect Holes?

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Hey, all-

I have recently planted this S. purpurea in my mini-tote-bog. Today, I have noticed several holes in the smaller pitcher of the purpurea. I presume it will be fine, but want to double check. I can't see anything wrong with the other plant in the mini-bog- a S. Judith Hindle. However, I have some VFTs next-door to the mini-bog, and I think a couple traps have been taken off by something...
eea2b020.jpg

eea2af36.jpg

Not sure, and sorry for lack of info, and bad photos!

Thanks~
smile.gif

catapillar(sp?) ?

slug maybe, to keep slugs out put a line of honey or somthing really sticky all the way around the edge of the crate and then heavily sprinkle salt on. Or just have a shallow tray that your crate sits in and fill it with salt.

Or place a shallow dish/container filled with stale beer almost flush with the surface of the media near your plants. If it's slugs, they'll go for the beer and drowned instead of your plants.

Animal safe slug bate works good too and its rain proof. Just only lasts a couple of weeks till it starts growing, but Thats what I use in my GH for slugs.

Great. Thanks for the tips, guys! I noticed another Sarr pitcher ripped down, today.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ June 06 2006,8:24)]Or place a shallow dish/container filled with stale beer almost flush with the surface of the media near your plants.  If it's slugs, they'll go for the beer and drowned instead of your plants.
I used to do this for my strawberry patch and then I found out about Baker's yeast and sugar. It was a whole lot cheaper than buying beer.

slug pellets work i've been told, just be carefull, i was over at jeremiahs once and he was spreading slug pellets, we went inside for some reason and when we came out his enw puppy had gotten into them, we had to make him throw up and take him to a vet before he was good again

I personally have a large 12" pot with multiple varieties of Sarracenia in it, and I have it raised on a pedastal, with a small mountain of salt around the base of the pedastal. When I say mountain, I don't literally mean a lot of salt. Just enough that the slug would never attempt to cross. Also, being raised on a pedastal and away from walls, decreases the instance of other pests. Just to be sure, I give my plants a mist of Garden Safe 3 in 1 insecticide, and they seem to be happy.

Back