What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone used fertilisers on Sarracenia?

Cindy

Staff member
If you do, what do you use? Is orchid fertilisers safe? Or is liquid seaweed better?
confused.gif

I just visited Meadowview and Phil said they use ozmocote (sp?) pellets on thiers. 15-0-15 he thinks. They did a study on this but I am not sure if it is published. You might try thier website or try Google.

http://www.pitcherplant.org/

Glenn

Yes, I bought a S. purpurea from someone who uses osmocote. I heard that the flower petals fall off quicker as a result, but otherwise it grows just fine. I have not tried it for any of my other sarracenia plants.

i use Miracid on seedlings, with excellent results. i don't use it on adult plants, 'cause they catch plenty of bugs on their own.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ June 07 2006,11:50)]i use Miracid on seedlings, with excellent results. i don't use it on adult plants, 'cause they catch plenty of bugs on their own.
Do you apply the Miracid foliarly, as the Savage Garden recomends, or do you soak the soil with it, like the package says?

i spray with a light fertilizer every now and then. when i spray i spray heavily and i only do it when i know it won't rain for a few days. no problems.

i use orchid fertilizer.

I was wondering the same question. I wanted to do some experimenting with Fertilzers since My CP's are in a Greenhouse now.

I too have used fertilizers on Sarracenia seedlings but have had no need, whatsoever, to give it to the adults. When I walked out to the garden an hour ago, I could hear the pleasing hum of trapped insects everywhere -- and they're free . . .

I did with MaxSea, but I didn't notice a difference. If anything the insects they catch in summer do more than you think. I wouldn't really bother.

Liquid seaweed by itself for gardeners isn't a fertilizer, its more of a growth stimulant/micronutrients package. There isn't a whole lot of actual fertilizer in seaweed extract. It's usually like 0-0-2 or less.

I tried Osmocote once, on a psittacina.

It turned yellow and developed brown spots!

I've had good results with orchid fertilizer diluted about 5 or more times the recommended mix w/ seedlings.

I am going to try Miracid® for acid loving plants this summer with a 1/4 diltution to the recommeded measurements per gallon. It is 20-10-10. I will mist the plants 2 times per month. I figure it cannot do anything but help at that dilute mixing ratio.???

Back