What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! I just bought some CPs from lowes: a butterwort, an S Purpurea and an S Rubra.
I have put the butterwort inside on a sill next to my D adelae, but the pitchers Ive put outside on my patio with my flytraps and D binata vars where they will get morning direct sun for about 2 or 3 hours (or they will once i take them out from behind the pots that are shading them atm) and Im going forward with the idea that the vfts will be doing dormancy of the 'move to a more shaded area, reduce watering for 3 months' method which Ive settled on after much advice from various people on this forum.
Can I do the same thing with the Sars?
I am currently shopping around for a flower cart or potting cart or some such to move the vfts (and now the sars) right outside into more full sun but any quick advice on growing these two types of sars in south florida would be appreciated as this was a complete impulse buy and Im not up on sars and pings.
And Ill be repotting everything in the next week or so too, plan on using 50/50 peat sand for everything and Ill read a bit to make sure thats okay, but advice in that regard would also be appreciated. Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MDPotter @ June 10 2006,2:30)]Help! I just bought some CPs from lowes: a butterwort, an S Purpurea and an S Rubra.
I have put the butterwort inside on a sill next to my D adelae, but the pitchers Ive put outside on my patio with my flytraps and D binata vars where they will get morning direct sun for about 2 or 3 hours (or they will once i take them out from behind the pots that are shading them atm) and Im going forward with the idea that the vfts will be doing dormancy of the 'move to a more shaded area, reduce watering for 3 months' method which Ive settled on after much advice from various people on this forum.
Can I do the same thing with the Sars?
I am currently shopping around for a flower cart or potting cart or some such to move the vfts (and now the sars) right outside into more full sun but any quick advice on growing these two types of sars in south florida would be appreciated as this was a complete impulse buy and Im not up on sars and pings.
And Ill be repotting everything in the next week or so too, plan on using 50/50 peat sand for everything and Ill read a bit to make sure thats okay, but advice in that regard would also be appreciated. Thanks!
I just bought 3 purpureas and a rubra myself from Lowes on Friday!
The 2.5 inch cubes.

*I* am acclimating them to the Sun little by little at first so they don't burn as in Lowes they get no sunlight as far as I can tell. I also set them in a container of 1 inch of water. I also repotted all of them into 3 inch pots using LFS and perlite.

They are small right now but so neat!

Tom

Yes Tom they are neat, and small, but 89 views and no news?
Im thinking about just planting the sars in the same pots with my vfts if I can find a space as they appear to have similar sun/water/soil requirements.
Or maybe I should just start a sar pot with these two plants together?
Any thoughts?
Anyone?
Bueller?

You can do like I have... put them in a bucket (w/handle) or a planter or a large pot or hanging basket. I mix sand & peat and then add LFS. I just make a minbog out of it, with VFT's, American pitcher plants, D. californica, D. binata, intermedia, rotundifolia, and filiformis. They have close enough year round growing conditions to keep them together, outside and the, becaue I live in the Buffalo, NY area, I just bring the buckets to the cold (but not frigid) attic for the winter. I don't use a fungicide and only water to keep from drying out. They were placed at a SW window sill and when late winter came around, one by one, the plants began to wake up (increased photoperiod). When temps were consistently above freezing, I placed them outside. Real easy and only lost 2 VFT's (which mayhave happened before I took them to the attic. Here's an illustration:

Strausplants0191.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 12 2006,10:54)]You can do like I have... put them in a bucket (w/handle) or a planter or a large pot or hanging basket. I mix sand & peat and then add LFS. I just make a minbog out of it, with VFT's, American pitcher plants, D. californica, D. binata, intermedia, rotundifolia, and filiformis. They have close enough year round growing conditions to keep them together, outside and the, becaue I live in the Buffalo, NY area, I just bring the buckets to the cold (but not frigid) attic for the winter. I don't use a fungicide and only water to keep from drying out. They were placed at a SW window sill and when late winter came around, one by one, the plants began to wake up (increased photoperiod). When temps were consistently above freezing, I placed them outside. Real easy and only lost 2 VFT's (which mayhave happened before I took them to the attic. Here's an illustration:

Strausplants0191.jpg
Well heck Jim, if you can do it in Buffalo *I* can do it in Poughkeepse! Thanks! I also just ordered 2 Flava mixed varieties and 2 Leucophylia "Tarnok"s too!

Tom

I have also since taken this collection to higher ground, on top of a table. Seems the local fauna got into my cobra lily and VFT's.
mad.gif
This is where CD's, pesticides, caging, and mousetraps come in handy!

just to say i got a Sarr from Lowe's and it was labled as S. Rubra but its not. its more of a S Minor tyhan a Rubra...just saying
smile.gif

alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ June 12 2006,1:43)]just to say i got a Sarr from Lowe's and it was labled as S. Rubra but its not. its more of a S Minor tyhan a Rubra...just saying
smile.gif

alex
Well that's certainly possible, either way I'm really happy I bought it!
I wish it was bigger though, the tallest pitcher is only about 2.5 inches tall!

Tom

Hey look, replies!
Thought I was going to have to grow boobs or something.
smile_n_32.gif

I guess Ill give the sars their own pot as no matter how I mentally slice it Id have to move some vfts to make adequate room.
And yeah, the rubra (if that is indeed what they are) are tiny, like 3 inches tall max. But thats okay, I just wonder how tall they'll eventually get. The purpura has two new pitchers about to come up so I want to get both rubra and purpura replanted by this weekend and get that part over with. And there was another cube or two of rubras at lowes that would help make buying a larger pot worthwhile...

must.... buy....
more.... plants....
cant... stop...
money...
plants....
wallet...
ack!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MDPotter @ June 12 2006,3:39)]must.... buy....
more.... plants....
cant... stop...
money...
plants....
wallet...
ack!!!
^i think everybody's shared that feeling once or twice (or continuously, like me) in this hobby....
smile_n_32.gif
Gotta catch'em all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SpyCspider @ June 12 2006,5:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MDPotter @ June 12 2006,3:39)]must.... buy....
more.... plants....
cant... stop...
money...
plants....
wallet...
ack!!!
^i think everybody's shared that feeling once or twice (or continuously, like me) in this hobby....
smile_n_32.gif
 Gotta catch'em all.
Oh sure, I have to try to hold back a bit. I just ordered a few (2) Flavas and a few (2) Leucophylla "Tarnoks"! a day ago.

Got.....to buy.....a few more.........water trays.....for the incoming....
....CPs.....ACK!

HELP!

Tom

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MDPotter @ June 12 2006,1:39)]Hey look, replies!
Thought I was going to have to grow boobs or something.
smile_n_32.gif
If ya do, drop by on your way to Trinidad and say hi
laugh.gif

Back